Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 21, 2003, 6:06 PM   #21

Just a thought....but why not try and get the most out of your,e existing camera's (A60 & A70,s)
I,m sure there,s plenty still to learn with these models in terms of features and techniques before we all need to get the latest models(A80)...... :lol:
yoggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:11 PM   #22

Amazon says the A70 lists for 449.99. While the press release for the A80 claims a list of 499.
Anyone know how the actual selling price of the A70 was when it first came out, and how long it took to settle at its current price?

I was considering the A70 based on everything I've read. However if the street price of the A80 is closer to 400 then I might wait till Oct for it.

'Taz
Tazmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 12:08 AM   #23

Though the a70 msrp is $450, if you paid more than $350 for that the day it came out, you got ripped off. The a80 will probably be cheaper as well.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 8:28 AM   #24

if A80 has the 12X lens and the looks of panasonic FZ2, it will be the best selling camera ever. i hope canon will think about it. :P
albino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 1:45 PM   #25

Hmmm...

According to the spec on dpreview, there's no VGA (640 x 480) movie mode like there is on the a70.

An omission?
roadwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 8:37 PM   #26
Gba

No, according to Canon's BeBit site, which stores all the information and specifications of the camera, also listed the camera as lacking the 640x480 res. (VGA) video mode.

Just the same as the S400.

I guess they DON'T want to totally take over the market or something, they keep making more expensive cameras LOSE options...
Gba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 5:17 AM   #27

I was following the discussion and I noticed that nobody is mentioning the cons which are as following :

1) the "good" flipping screen means also a lower resolution of 67.000 pixels !!!

2) Yes the CCD is now smaller but the resolution is also higher so I would wait till the first reviews to see if it is not producing more noise...

PS: by the way the A70 has a 5 point AIAF
jazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 3:08 AM   #28

Default canon a70 uk prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson
hmm how much is the A70 then? im in the uk so diff prices

thats about 313 and the A70 is in shops for 300 here
Just ordered a Canon a70 from empiredirect.co.uk....215 quid plus postage.... or its available on amazon.co.uk for 227 and free delivery.....

More realistic price I recon...Just hope the camera lives upto the hype

Skip
skip24ftlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:15 AM   #29

I think I'm going to go for the A60 with the WC-DC52 (24mm wide adapter) I'll sacrifice the 1MP difference for the cost of the 24mm lens

I have seen pictures using the 24mm and they look pretty sweet Anyone use or have an opinion on the above adapter?

Thanks in advance.

-=-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 9:52 PM   #30

Default Canon a80

Hi there,

I was at a Canon product showing in Toronto last night and got my hands on the Canon A80. It has a "good feel" to it (I hate that phrase) and the swivel-mount LCD was a nice feature... however, expect a LCD that seems a little smaller than the A70 or A60.

I spoke with the Canon rep, it will be retailing for $599.99 here in Canada.

A major flaw with the camera has to be the new ring and adapter. While the Wide Angle Converter will still be applicable, users of the Canon A-Series will have to purchase a new ring adapter and/or teleconverter. I was NOT impressed with that. The ring feels sturdier than the A60/70 ring... but I believe this is another way to drain more money out of the standard consumer.

Has anyone else had one in their hands?

I found the OMNI menu selector (Canon Rep's words..) interesting. The Canon Rep claimed it would reduce dirt accumulation around the menu buttons, but I believe that it's just a way for them to use less components (I don't blame 'em)
KenKosowan is offline   Reply With Quote