Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:25 PM   #11

Goofas-

Indeed, the camera is known as the Canon S-5IS. I have also seen it with a space in it, like this: S-5 IS. BTW have you read the "S-5IS Flash Tutorial" in detail? There is some good stuff there!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 4:23 AM   #12

mtclimber wrote:

Sarah,

talking of non-Canon flashes, I saw a Sigma 500DG ST on the Internet that claims to be a substitute for the 430EX. Have you had any experience with this product?

It's about the price of the Opteka.

Gary
Quote:
Vince-

And one totally "wildcard" choice. I know most folks do not to seem to hold Opteka photo accessories in very high esteem. However, I just want to share with you that I have had nothing but total success with the Opteka EF-600DG flash which sells for $(US) 120.00 at 47th Street Photo.

Sarah Joyce
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:14 AM   #13

Bayani-

There is the Sigma 500DG and the Sigma 500 DG Super as well. Sigma makes a good flash. I have a Sigma 500DG that I use with my Pentax DSLR and my only qualm is that it does not quite have as much light output as the EX-420, an older Canon flash, or the newer EX-430, which is a very good flash unit, or the Opteka EF 600DG which is also A-OK. However, all in all the Sigma 500DG is a very good and dependable flash. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:22 PM   #14

Sarah,

Thank you very much for your input.

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:52 PM   #15

Hi Sarah,

Very rare poster but had an S1 and waited a long time for the new S5 witha hot shoe. THANK YOU so much for your article, especially the advice on the flash.

I searched ebay and found the Opteka for $80 including a battery system with 4 NiMh batteries. I think I did really well.

Tow minor issues and need help. The TTL setting on teh flash makes everything very HOT. Did you find this? I changed teh mode on the back to the third option and things are dramatically better.

The other query was in regards to the flash diffsuers that are on ebay. I am unsure what model woudl match the Opteka's shape. They all say they fit teh Canon 430, etc but do not list the Opteka. ANy thoughts?

THANK YOU AGAIN for your tutorial. I just shoot family pix but love doing it and your advice helped.

Trevortoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:54 PM   #16

I could not resist.

Attached Images

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote