Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:44 PM   #1

Here is the conclusion of the Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial

I hope you have enjoyed and learned a few new things from the Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial. I will be happy to answer any questions that you might have. Thanks.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:47 PM   #2

Thanks Sarah.

I'm really glad you finished this out. Really a huge help.

JG
JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the write up.. I read both parts and feel i learnt and walked away more knowlegable... I just got my Canon S5 IS and I'm teaching myself to go to program mode, pay attention to the Histogram, adjust exposure, and shutter speed manually, as well as set the ISO manually when possible...

I'll teach my wife to use the "auto" mode and that is as far as that will go, but I want to master the camera in differnet situations.

anything realated to the S5 IS is interest to me at this point for sure.

I'd like to create some nice shots of the kids in focus with the background slightly blurry etc, I need to keep reading / practicing as it seems to be great shots constantly but not quite the look i'm after yet... lots to learn and between Shutter Speed, ISO, Exposure, Program mode, TV mode etc etc i'm in circles <lol>

Thanks again!
Vince

Vince00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:22 PM   #4

Vince-

Please keep in mind that a point & shoot camera has an entirely different DOF characteristics when compared to a DSLR camer with a physically larger lens diameter.

On the S-5IS your best slightly blurred background versus the subject in sharp focus, which is typical professional portraiture technique, can best be achieved by using the Portrait Scene Mode on the S-5IS and using an external flash with a partial tilt forward, and the majority of the light bounced off the ceiling.

Here is the kind of photo lighting that I am think that would work for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:49 PM   #5

Is there a chance to achive some nice shots of a slighly blurry background with sharp focus on the target, with just the onboard flash?

I am quickly realizing that a external flash is definatly something to put on the want list and consider it sooner then later... I'm thinking the ex-430 but i'll have to save some $$$ since i just bought the camera :-)

Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:10 PM   #6

Vince-

Because you have much greater and more precise control over the light, I actually prefer to use the external flash on the S-5IS camera. The camera's built-in flash will take photos, but because you cannot tilt the built-in flash you cannot achieve the same kind of photos. The photos look differently.

Here are several examples of flash photos using the S-5IS's built-in flash. You will notice that it is not possible to blur the background as you had expressed a desire to do so.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:34 PM   #7

Vince-

I decided to go the "extra mile" for you. Here are two photos taken to as closely as possible to duplicate or make them the same. These two photos were taken using the camera's built-in flash. The first photo was taken with the Nikon D-40 a DSLR camera. The second photo was taken with the Canon S-5IS. I tried as much as possible to eliminate any harsh shadows. Yes, there is a very slight color difference between theses two cameras. However, that is to be expected, as each camera handles the White Balance a wee bit differently.

Sarah Joyce

Here is the Nikon D-40 camera:

Here is the Canon S-5IS camera:

Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:30 PM   #8

Thank you very much again...

I started looking up the Speedlight 430ex and I'm thinking that will be my suggested "Christmas Gift" <lol>

So you would suggest without a doubt no matter how little or much a person does with there camera... get a external flash hands down right?

I'm tempted to setup a room with a backdrop, and about 6 lights etc and do my own house photography etc (I'm not much into paying through the nose for school photos when I think i can do it as good or better)

Vince

Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:15 PM   #9

Vince-

There are two obvious external flash choice for the S-5IS camera.

(1) The older Canon EX-420 Flash which is available on ebay for around $(US)175.00

(2) The newer Canon EX-430 Flash which runs about $(US) 230.00 to $(US) 260.00

And one totally "wildcard" choice. I know most folks do not to seem to hold Opteka photo accessories in very high esteem. However, I just want to share with you that I have had nothing but total success with the Opteka EF-600DG flash which sells for $(US) 120.00 at 47th Street Photo.

So take your choice.

On an entirely different subject. Concerning your desire to have your subject in very sharp focus and the background blurred. I think that could be done rather easily by using a new procedure called telemacro. In that procedure you use your camera's long zoom to execute a close up photo. This could easily be done with the S-5IS camera using a stand back a good distance in feet and an external flash. I do not have time to set-up the photo right now, as I have to prepare dinner. I will try to get to it tomorrow. But here is how it looks when doing flower telemacros.

Sarah Joyce

A Telemacro shot:

Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:06 PM   #10

Isnt it a S5 IS not S-5IS?

Canon calls it a S5 IS.....link here.......http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=15207
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote