Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:21 PM   #1

Weird stuff going on with my usually very reliable Powershot A80: Using five different CF cards I got the same results. All other settings I used being the same, I'm getting instances where the white highlights are all replaced with a weird magenta cast. Also, when this happens there is a very dark, thick black bar at the top of the photo, with a magenta stripe directly below it. In some instances there is banding. This will show up on one photo, then not on the next, taken a minute later.

Any idea what's causing this? Is this a sensor problem? :?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

dg
Attached Images

dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:00 PM   #2

As our cameras get older and older they show some "aging" clues. What you are seeing here is something that hapens when the Canon A-80 can not maintain Auto WB.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Sarah Joyce.

I'm assuming this means I'm nearing the end of the road with it, no?

If that's the case I'd welcome any advice as to the best suitable replacement--I really like the size and ergonomics of that one. I also wonder if the new ones take CF cards, since I have several [haven't checked yet, but will].

I use a Rebel XTi for some situations but have always loved the A80 for situations where I need something I can carry around or take places I wouldn't bring the Rebel.

dg
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:32 PM   #4

dg-

I use the Canon A-650IS or the G-7 as my "always with me" camera, and I have been very pleased with them. Hoever, the do use the SD flash memory. Here is a Canon G-7 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce

Canon G-7:

Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:53 PM   #5

Thanks again, Sarah Joyce. Was just reading reviews of these after going to the Canon site. I'll deal with the different card format. Did notice that some other models don't have viewfinder, which I could never get used to. Ergonomically it looks like the 650IS is closer to the A80 [like the grip]; a little concerned about the screen always being exposed; wonder if it's replaceable as on the Rebel.

dg
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:24 PM   #6

dg-

Please do not be confused. The A-650IS screen can be folded inward so that the LCD is completely protected.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:33 AM   #7

Read a review before I saw the photo--thanks. This looks most like what I'm used to.--dg
Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:50 PM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
As our cameras get older and older they show some "aging" clues. What you are seeing here is something that hapens when the Canon A-80 can not maintain Auto WB.

Sarah Joyce
Not meaning to argue, but do you know this for a fact? "Maintaining" AWB is a calculation made by the software, according to the information collected by the CCD. I can't imagine that the software went bad. I would rather suggest that yes, the sensor onthecamera has some kind of issue. The end result is the same, probably not worth fixing it, most likely cheaper to buy a new Powershot. The 650is is definitely the one to get if you want to spend the money.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:05 PM   #9

Thanks for weighing in and yes, I'm going for the 650IS. I considered the G9, but absolutely hated the ergonomics when I tried it out in the store--it seems so dainty: nothing to hold on to. The 650IS seems closest to the A80, which served me very well.

dg
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:57 AM   #10

Hi there, I would be careful about ordering a 650 IS. I believe its subject to a Canon recall. i just heard this today from the dealer who had sold me one about 2 weeks ago. I had returned it. as it had a faulty sensor, causing a rectangular magenta cast in the center of the frame on most of my hi contrast pics. These were `easy` shots, with the sun directly behind me. Pics taken into the sun, and dusk shots came out fine. There has been some discussion on other forums about the exact same problems with this model. I also have a A80 and love it, and also my A610 , 620 etc..........I have at 3 other Canons, incl 2Dslrs,and this is the first ever sensor issue I have ever seen with any canon model. I think the A630 or A640 would make a great replacement for the A80, and the new A720 IS looks like a superb up to date replacement as well.......brilliant value at $249............hope this helps...................Dave
daithi is offline   Reply With Quote