Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:08 AM   #1

i can only afford around £50 on a flash unit i know its not much have found this will it be ok and wotk?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:IT&ih=009

if not can anyone recomend one around that price please
jeanette62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:50 AM   #2

Jeanette-

That particular flash is very underpowered and I quite honestly do not believe that it might not offer the capabilities that you might desire, such as the flash range. That particular flash will be very curtailed and that flash neither tilt nor swivel.

If you were to read my Canon S-5IS flash tutorial (located right in this folder) you could learn a whole lot more about flash in general and the flash units that fit you G-7. Why you might ask? Because the very same flash units are used on the G-7 and they work exactly the same way. How do I know? Because I own both the G-7 and the S-5IS, and a whole reft of other cameras because I am a Camer Instructor.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:46 AM   #3

read it but cant afford those flashes what about the

http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pages/metz9.htm

but

Metz mecablitz 36 AF-3 that model i dont think its compatible what do you think.

i dont want a flash that will light up an entire arena lol just a basic flash with a bit more than the g7 has thanks .

jeanette
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:05 AM   #4

Jeanette-

The Metz 36 AF3 would be an excellent selection and it will also give you a full tilt capability. Metz is a good brand and hopefully it is in the budget. Have a great day!

Jeanette
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:44 PM   #5

Jeanette-

If you do not answer my post, I really do not know where to go with an expanded answer. So if there is a mesurable break in this thread, I hope that you will understand the ramifications in full.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:49 PM   #6
Administrator

jeanette62 wrote:
Quote:
Metz mecablitz 36 AF-3 that model i dont think its compatible what do you think
I think you need the 36AF4C versus the 36AF3. I don't think the 36AF3 supports E-TTL That's why there was a note on that page about it:

Quote:
Canon E-TTL mode (Metz 36 AF 4 flashgun only)
http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pages/metz9.htm

Flash systems changed with digital. So, you have to be careful that the flash you buy will work with a newer digital model (many flash models designed for film cameras are not going to work properly on digital cameras, since the flash systems were redesigned in order to support a metering preflash). According to the listing at B&H, the newer 36-AF4C is E-TTL and E-TTL II compatible.

Metz 36AF-4C at B&H for $139.95

So, it should work OK. I'd avoid the older 36AF-3 (no E-TTL support).

You can find a page here that may be helpful (it lets you pick a camera model and find Metz flashes for it):

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...tions.142.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:18 AM   #7

hi thankyou yes i just realised that too after buying it from ebay,the nice ebay man said he has the newer model and i can have it for the same price .£19.99 . second hand but i dont mind that

all i need now is some help on how to use it .:lol:

having not used a flash like this i need help on setting it up to my canon g7 for the best output any ideas on where i can find help with this.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:22 AM   #8

jeanette-

Please look for a thread titled "Canon S-5 IS Flash Tutorial." Your G-7 is setup and used exactly like the flash on the Canon S-5 IS. There are 21 single spaced pages of instruction on both the camera's built in flash and the external flash. I think that you will find everything you want right there is the tutorial.

Have quick read and ask any questions you want. I will be leaving on a 2.5 month contract doing workshops in the early morning of Sunday 23 September. Have a nice day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:08 PM   #9

thankyou i will go look