Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1

Why isn' there a credible upgrade for the best point and shoot Canon ever made, the A610?

Why did Panasonic discontinue both the f30 and f31fd?

Is there a conspiracy or are there other cameras out there capable of equaling the quality of these two under low light conditions or for that matter shooting at ISO 800 in any situation?

Hey, give me a 6mp with a huge sensor, a 28mm -112mm lens and make it so I can put it in my jacket pocket.

What's the matter with camera companies. Don't they realize there are people who want a quality point and shoot?

Just ranting - please excuse me.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2
TJM

mlhm5 wrote:
Quote:
Why isn' there a credible upgrade for the best point and shoot Canon ever made, the A610?

Hmm, some would say the best Canon P&S ever made was the G6, some now claim the G9.

Why did Panasonic discontinue both the f30 and f31fd?

They didn't, those were Fujifilm cameras. :G

Is there a conspiracy or are there other cameras out there capable of equaling the quality of these two under low light conditions or for that matter shooting at ISO 800 in any situation?

Hey, give me a 6mp with a huge sensor, a 28mm -112mm lens and make it so I can put it in my jacket pocket.

The Sony R1 was the only P&S to ever have a large APS-C sensor but big sensor usually means big lens which means big camera.

What's the matter with camera companies. Don't they realize there are people who want a quality point and shoot?

Just ranting - please excuse me.

I'm guessing that there just aren't enough people in the general public that are willing to pay for a quality camera - hence, no Sony R2. It wasn't the quality of the images that killed the R1, it was the $1,000 price tag and to a lesser degree the size of the body. Camera companies are out to make a profit, and megapixels sell. Carm 10 or 12 million pixels on a made in China camera and the general public grabs them up for bragging rights, not image quality.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:45 PM   #3

You might take a look at the new Canon A-650IS camera which replces the A-610 and A-630 cameras. It does us a larger than normal imager, gives you 6X optical zoom, while retaining the articulated LCD screen that so many folks liked on the A-610.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:07 PM   #4

It would be wonderful if we were able to buy a camera with:
- Panasonic's Leica lens from the TZ3 (28-280 zoom, clear, no distortion)
- Fuji's SuperCCD sensor (preferably in a larger size, perhaps 2/3")
- Canon's general design and features, including lots of user controllability
and a light hand at noise reduction

I would expect that would be a wonderful walk-around camera,
and might make SLRs obsolete for many people.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote