Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:56 PM   #1

I just bought my wife a Canon A540 to replace a Pentax that she broke. The camera got great reviews, however, I have been a little displeased. Out of the box with a SanDisk 2GB Ultra II SD card in it, it takes about 10-15 seconds before I can take another picture after snapping off the first. It appears to take this long as it is writing to the card. I have low level formatted the card and that does not appear to help. When I use this particular SD card in my Canon S3IS it don't have this issue, so I ruled out a bad SD card. I also have tried several different SD cards in it. Is this typical with this A540 camera, or do I need to send it in for repairs? I guess I am spoiled by the S3IS, but I did not have this issue with the Pentax. It is a little frustrating waiting and waiting to snap off another pic. 4-5 pics a minute with a camera of this quality and a high speed SD card just does not seem right to me. Any thoughts ???

Thanks!
JakeUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:46 AM   #2
ms3

I don't have the A540, but I did have an A510 which was also slow. The only things which helped some were using fresh batteries (Eneloops are great). As soon as the batteries wore down, it got slower. The eneloops hold their charge over time much better than regular rechargeables.

Also, having only 2 batteries slows it down.

I now have an S3 and it is way faster, no comparison.
ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Administrator

That doesn't sound right. I'd reset it back to factory defaults in case you have a setting of some kind changed that's causing a problem. You'll find a "Reset All" choice in the camera's setup menus (it's the last choice on this screen):

If that doesn't solve it, try pressing and holding the menu button down for at least 5 seconds and see if it prompts you for a full reset. Some Canon models have another reset function built in that works that way.

Here's what Steve found (see the review conclusion section where he discusses performance for cameras reviewed here):

Quote:
Shooting performance was awesome for a point-n-shoot in this class. From power up to first image was captured measured just 1.6 seconds, and waking the camera from sleep mode to image capture took only 1 second. Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the shutter button and capturing an image, was less than 1/10 of a second when pre-focused, and only 2/10 of a second including autofocus. When using single drive mode and shooting a sequence of images, the shot to shot delay averaged approx. 1.5 seconds without the flash, but increases dramatically to between 4 - 6 seconds when using the flash, depending on subject distance and battery life.

The A540 also offers a continuous (burst) mode, that Canon claims can capture images at a rate of 2.3fps. I found it was a bit more impressive than their claim, capturing 10 images in 3.5 seconds flat; a frame rate of 2.8 fps.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../a540_pg6.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I tried a reset all from the menu, but still the same problem. Averaging between 8 and twelve seconds between snaps. I tried holding down the menu button, but I guess it does not work with this model. I appreciate the help. I guess I have to take in for repairs. Kind of frustrating since it is only 3 months old. Thanks again guys I appreciate the help!
JakeUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote