Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:51 AM   #11

Both cameras take nice looking pics. I think the A720 is a little more contrasty but that's not a bad thing.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:12 PM   #12

I don't think it would surprise many people if an 8MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor produced better IQ than one on a 1/2.5" sensor... though the sensor, itself, would also be a factor in that equation (again, I don't have one; but I'll defer to those who did),. And I'll also say without reservation that there is a lot to like about about Canon's A6xx series (better flash recycle times, flip out screen, etc.). I just don't think that the A720IS is without its merits (obviously, since I bought one).

It offers a slightly smaller form factor (without being as tiny as the elphs), well-performing image stabilization, pretty good image quality, and a decent feature set at just over 1/2 the price of the only A6xx series camera to offer IS: the currently unavailable (due to recalls) A650IS. So no one here is arguing that the A6xx isn't a good camera; some of us just think that for our needs, the A720IS is a pretty good one, too.
vyper1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:44 PM   #13

For what it is worth, I tried out the A710 IS right after it came out. I wasn't that pleased with the IQ and was particularly disappointed with the results when using auto mode.

I don't have experience with any other A-series camera. I own an S400 and an S1-IS. I must say that I wasn't that happy with the results from the ultracompact IS cameras either when I tried it, but that is probably just me. Despite the low MP, I get clear, sharp pics with both my current cameras.

I still looking for the right upgrade to go with. I'm going to give the S3-IS a try now that the price is under $300.
powerShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:01 PM   #14

When comparing pictures from two different cameras, they have to be set in manual mode and made sure the aperture/shutter/ISO/white balance/sharpness/contrast/color/resolution/compression and probably some other settings are all the same. This is the only way to accurately judge photo quality from different cameras (which is why I trust a well written review by a photography/camera expert more). If it's on auto, then a lot of times one small framing difference will cause one camera's computer to automatically use a different setting, and you end up comparing apples to oranges.

I ordered an A720 and don't expect to use the AUTO or scene modes much. From all the reviews I've read it's hard to beat, especially in its price range.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:05 PM   #15

Whyzor,

I agree with you completely when it comes to the same shot. I was just giving my overall general experience after taking hundreds to thousands of shots on auto.

By the way, I happened to try out the A720 IS at a store today and was quite impressed.
powerShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:22 AM   #16

Did anyone notice that the comparison photos were shot in different resolutions? If you look at the Exif info, the 720IS photos are shot at .3 megapixel and the 630 are taken at 8 megapixel. That's the reason that the 720 photos would appear blurry. Taking photos at the same res would be a better way to compare.
Beulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:44 AM   #17

Beulo wrote:
Quote:
Did anyone notice that the comparison photos were shot in different resolutions? If you look at the Exif info, the 720IS photos are shot at .3 megapixel and the 630 are taken at 8 megapixel. That's the reason that the 720 photos would appear blurry. Taking photos at the same res would be a better way to compare.
I think there is an apples-oranges deal going on here. I suspect there was a difference in processing before upload as the EXIF data is still attached to the A630 files and it isn't attached to the A720 photos although the web site reports EXIF data for both. Suspect the A720 photos were resized before uploading and the A630 photo were resized by the web site although there could be other explanations. In any case the difference in processing make comparisons non-definitive.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:10 AM   #18

Although both cameras have the same amount of pixels, the 1/1.8" sensor of the A630 is significantly larger than the 1/2.5" sensor of the A720 and that really matters. Because the pixels are larger the lens of the A630 is able to resolve them better than the A720. Also smaller pixels mean more noise and whence more noise suppression. Thus all in all it is quite natural that the A630 yields better image quality. If you want comparable image quality take the A650 and downsize the pics to 8 MP.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote