Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:41 AM   #1
Administrator

See Steve's hands on review here:

Canon PowerShot A720 IS

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:53 AM   #2

Message really for Steve on this one. Do you think this qualifies as one of the best cameras you've reviewed, your review seems very very positive.

I own a Canon 350D and a Fuji S7000, both are too bulky for taking out regularly to events etc and I want something that has great image quality and is sub £200.

Also my girlfriend is going to America in a few days and I may well ask her to buy this, are there certain shops I should get her to visit.
Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:11 AM   #3

HI,
I am also missing comparation of photo quality between A710 and A720 since they are using same sensor and A720 has 2 Mpixels more...
also some comparation between A650 and a720 will be also good...:-)
*BoTiA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:26 AM   #4

very nice
nesisdiove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:27 AM   #5

*BoTiA* wrote:
Quote:
HI,
I am also missing comparation of photo quality between A710 and A720 since they are using same sensor and A720 has 2 Mpixels more...
also some comparation between A650 and a720 will be also good...:-)
The photo samples are available so why not compare the two.

In my opinion, they look the same, in other words of very high quality.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:31 PM   #6

Steve's photos of every side of the camera is VERY useful, and in the case of the A720IS, highlights an issue, which for me, is very important. The A720IS is made in CHINA and the A710IS was made in JAPAN. This, in part, explains the far lower cost of the A720IS this year. Because the Chinese workers who make the 720 are earning far less than the Japanese workers who made the 710.

Besides, carrying a camera ``Made in Japan'' has a certain class.

I bought the 710, which has been a great camera for me, but I will NOT consider upgrading to the 720.
WestEndAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:35 PM   #7

C'mon now, that's just snobbishness. I doubt the quality is much inferior made in China. Most electronics these days are assembled with robots and computers anyway, the people are just for inspection and make sure the machines are working properly.

Actually I believe part of the savings comes from the DIGIC III processor, probably since it's a newer generation chip, it's made on a smaller lithography technology, therefor they can yield more chips per square feet of silicon (like most computer chip technology that follows Moore's law).

whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:48 AM   #8

I really doubt that a tiny difference in the DIGIC II vs. III translates to that relatively large price difference on the 710 vs. 720.

Yes. They can make fine electronics in China but you need an extremely tight control to ensure that compared to if manufactured in Japan etc. But as someone said chineese workers are earning much less. Also in China they have less restrictive environmental laws and the workers have less rights.

Personally I'm also concerned about having everything manufactured in China. Not that I don't buy anything made in China but I do prefer things manufactured elsewhere is not a huge difference in price. I would call the price between 710 and 720 considerable but not huge. When I changed my watertap recently I bought a local brand made in EU and not those made in China of scrap metal full of lead, nickel and so on. The price for an EU one the Chinese one was virtually identical.

So for different point of view I fully understand why some prefer things made in Japan rather than China.
McAllan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 1:53 AM   #9

Is the Canon A720is inflicted with the same poor video background sound as the A710is? There is a workaround, if you have time to spare.

By also changing to Digic III, you also do not have the feature of CHDK, which I found extremely useful on my trip to Oz & Singapore.
hensberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:14 AM   #10

I haven't used the video function on my a720 much, so I don't know about the sound issues. It worked from what limited trials I've had. As for the CHDK hack. Give it some time and I'm sure the DIGIC III processors will be supported. It takes a while for the new generation cameras to get into the hands of gadget tinker types.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote