Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:45 AM   #1
Administrator

See Steve's hands on review here:

Canon PowerShot A650 IS

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:09 AM   #2

Nice review... and certainly, it looks (on paper) like a nice camera. But I'm a little surprised that the review makes no mention of the fact that the camera was recalled and pulled from vendor shelves for a fairly significant defect/issue.
vyper1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:56 AM   #3

I

I received my A650 camera on Monday Oct 15th with the serial number which is assumed to be defective. Was luck enough yesterday as it was a bright sunny day and took quite a few shots while sun was directly shining at the "open LCD" and have no problem with the pictures whatsoever. Bearing in mind that there is no sign that it might have been repaired, I am wondering if not all of the cameras with the prescribed serial number are defective. Anybody is having similar experience? Nice to know.

Karimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:31 AM   #4

I bought an A650 when it came out. Havn't seen the light leak in the real world because where I live the weather is just about always bad. Pretty cold so not out for very long time and when not raining it's still cloudy so no sunshine :?
However, with a little help from an ordinary (relatively strong) flashlight lighting directly on the back it's easy to see.

It's now returned for repair. I really do hope it comes back without the slightest scratch - I always take very good care of my stuff. Even my A95 wich have taken a few thousand pictures is still like new.
McAllan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:48 AM   #5

McAllan wrote:
Quote:
I bought an A650 when it came out. Havn't seen the light leak in the real world because where I live the weather is just about always bad. Pretty cold so not out for very long time and when not raining it's still cloudy so no sunshine :?
However, with a little help from an ordinary (relatively strong) flashlight lighting directly on the back it's easy to see.

It's now returned for repair. I really do hope it comes back without the slightest scratch - I always take very good care of my stuff. Even my A95 wich have taken a few thousand pictures is still like new.
Anybody has tried to use Color Accent or Color Swap with A650? I can use them with my A620 camera but do not see these features in A650.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:53 AM   #6

So, A650 does have color accent and color swap. Now could you let me know how to access these features. Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:47 AM   #7

Loved the review for the A650 IS - so much I bought one. Very pleased with it, easy to use and great results.

However - quoting from the review - "The DIGITAL port connects USB 2.0 (high-speed) to the computer for download and camera control with the RemoteCapture software"

The Remote capture feature is the sole reason for buying another camera. This is not a faeture of the A650 IS. Canon have confirmed this.

The PS remote doesn't seem to do the job either.

Does the reviewer know something I don't or a way of achieving this, or was it an incorrect assumption?

Thanks, Tony
anthonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:22 PM   #8

"I received my A650 camera on Monday Oct 15th with the serial number which is assumed to be defective. Was luck enough yesterday as it was a bright sunny day and took quite a few shots while sun was directly shining at the "open LCD" and have no problem with the pictures whatsoever. Bearing in mind that there is no sign that it might have been repaired, I am wondering if not all of the cameras with the prescribed serial number are defective. Anybody is having similar experience? Nice to know. "

If your camera has the affected serial number, you next have to check if you have a little dot on the hinge of the battery door (I think the dot is green?). If you have the dot, the camera doesn't have the issue or has already been fixed.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:01 PM   #9

Michi wrote:
Quote:
"I received my A650 camera on Monday Oct 15th with the serial number which is assumed to be defective. Was luck enough yesterday as it was a bright sunny day and took quite a few shots while sun was directly shining at the "open LCD" and have no problem with the pictures whatsoever. Bearing in mind that there is no sign that it might have been repaired, I am wondering if not all of the cameras with the prescribed serial number are defective. Anybody is having similar experience? Nice to know. "

If your camera has the affected serial number, you next have to check if you have a little dot on the hinge of the battery door (I think the dot is green?). If you have the dot, the camera doesn't have the issue or has already been fixed.
Thanks Michi. Have you tried "COLOR ACCENT or COLOR SWAP" features of A650? I cannot find these cool features in A650 while enjoy playing with them in my A620.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:06 PM   #10

caf120 wrote:
Quote:
seems cool.

Does it mean that you have been able to actually use these features in A650? And if so, could you please let me know how you managed to experience these cool features (Color accent and color swap). Will appreciated. Karimg.