Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:58 PM   #1

Lost my SD700, and just purchased a SD850. I am not thrilled with the image quality. Now that Steve reviewed the A720, and gave it a rave, I am thinking of replacing the 850 for a 720. What I can't understand is both have 8 meg's, and the same size sensor. Why should one be better than the other in IQ, if that is the case.

I would appreciate your help in deciding which camera. Thank's

Stu :?

stuart5936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:08 PM   #2

The big question is not going to beimage quality...it's going to be much the same between these two, so don't go splitting hairs here. If you know what you're doing, you'll be abletake good pics with either. If you don't,these cameras are bothcapable of equally lousy pictures.

What you need to ask yourself is whether you want a camera that's really not much more than strictly a point & shoot (SD850) or a camera in the A720that you can firstuse in AUTO,with the future option toeventually learn photography with. The A720 gives you pretty much a full set of exposure options, from P, A, S, or full manual, to metering options and just about another advanced option you could think of short of a hot shoe, but if you don't care for any of that, get the SD850...it's that easy.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 2:43 AM   #3

Thanks!

That's exactly what I was thinking, my 700 was far Superior to either one. Is there a camera out there that will give me a small package, with good IQ?

Stu

stuart5936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:27 AM   #4

stuart5936 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks!

Is there a camera out there that will give me a small package, with good IQ?

Stu
Either one of these, used carefully, CAN give outstanding results. Both lenses are very good, but using them strictly as a point & shoot will result as likelyin medicocre shots as good ones.

Take a look here at what an "A" series camera is capable of in the hands of someone willing to put in the work...

http://photo.net/photodb/presentatio...tion_id=317651

But you cannot expect results like this in "AUTO" mode with any camera.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote