Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:33 PM   #11

No need to get upset now. I am trying to show my fello S3 IS user what this specific camera can do indoors, with poor light, at full zoom, handheld. You have the greatest shot we have ever seen.....but it is not going to help the poster with his Canon 3S IS settings. :blah:
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:59 PM   #12

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
but it is not going to help the poster with his Canon 3S IS settings. :blah:
The advice I gave is independent of camera - please re-read if you missed that part :blah:

When shooting action, the challenge you face is motion blur - not camera shake. You really want shutter speeds around 1/500 or better. So even at full zoom camera shake isn't the primary problem. SO IS isn't really a big help - if your shutter speeds are slow enough to need IS then they're too slow to stop motion blur for the most part.

Quote:
As for shooting modes - I recommend AGAINST using tv mode for action photography. I know it sounds backwards - after all TV lets you dial in a fast shutter speed. The problem with that approach is it allows you to dial in a shutter speed that may be TOO fast for what your aperture and ISO can give you. When TV mode IS good is when you want to set a LOW shutter speed to show motion blur. In most sports though you don't. Instead I would recommend aperture priority - AV mode. Dial in your widest aperture (lowest f-number). For a given ISO that will guarantee you get the fastest shutter speed possible while still not under-exposing the image. You then bump up your ISO as needed to get 1/500 shutter speeds (by the way the 1/500 is just a general guideline - actual shutter speeds needed vary depending on the motion - stopping motion on a major league pitcher for instance you want around 1/4000 shutter speeds).
I'm curious - which part of this is the s3 not capable of doing?

As for necessary shutter speeds - that is camera independent. Stop action photography isn't 1/200 on one camera and 1/500 on a different camera. The S3 is quite capable of taking action shots if you understand how to maximize it's capabilities. I don't need to own the S3 to know how to take action shots - the concept is the same regardless of camera as long as the camera has TV, AV, Manual modes.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:23 PM   #13

You win...I'm done :?

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote