Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:53 PM   #1

Every time I upload pictures from my S5 camera to computer there are a handful of images that do not upload properly. The image is visable but appears to be partially covered by a transparent film, which is a different color each time -- sometimes pink, sometimes yellow, sometimes green. I have attached an example. The pictures are normal when viewed on the LCD display of the camera. If I try to upload the pictures a second time, the ones originally affected will be fine but others will be affected. This occurs with approx. 4 to 5 pictures out of 100. I called Canon recently & was told it was likely a problem with the Zoombrowser software. I was sent a new CD but this has not corrected the problem. Has anyone else experienced this or know what could be wrong?
lmn927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:10 AM   #2

Before reinstalling ZoomBrowser, did you properly and complete uninstall the older version?

Over-installing a new version may not have gotten rid of the problem part of the first installation.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:14 PM   #3

Yes, I completely uninstalled the original version of Zoombrowser. I'm still having the same problem with the new version of the software Canon sent me.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:59 PM   #4

Two things you might want to try:

1. Take the SD memory card from the camera and insert into the SD card reader of your computer - if it has one. If not, you may want to get one that plugs into your USB port - this is a very low-cost device. Go to Windows Explorer and double-click the images and see if they are complete. If so, the problem is not with the card or the camera.

Now you need to check the computer installation.

2. Install ZoomBrowser (new copy) in another computer and see if it will now properly download the images. If so, the problem is not with the new copy of ZB nor with the card nor the camera. You will now need to reinstall but first by totally cleaning up your PC of any remnants of the old ZB installation - this is something that a knowledgeable person can help you with.

Hope these help.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:33 AM   #5

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a memory problem. I had mixed memory modules. I'd have the same problem no matter where the images came from. I'm using windows Vista.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:46 PM   #6

What are mixed memory modules? I am also using Windows Vista.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 6:16 PM   #7

Most new mother boards support dual channel memory. This set up requires that the memory modules in a channel be a matched pair. If not, there will be memory errors. That's why you can open an image edit it and and later it's corrupted. My solution was to reduce my memory from 3 GB to 2 GB eliminating the problem. You can check the diagnostics when the machine boots up to see if it's in dual or single channel configuration. The corruptedimages looked like rainbows on one half and were okay on the other half. It wasn't a problem with small images, butfull sized 8 meg-pixel images were infrequently corrupted. I had some professional event photos so even a small percentage of bad photos were too much. Your memory card could also be going bad.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:50 AM   #8

The problem is in Windows Vista and USB controllers (nVidia, nForce). See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528

Personally I installed Windows XP SP2, and all works ok.

Marcelo.

socra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:27 PM   #9

socra0 wrote:
Quote:
The problem is in Windows Vista and USB controllers (nVidia, nForce). See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528

Personally I installed Windows XP SP2, and all works ok.

Marcelo.
Have heard the same being done by others - uninstalling Vista and down-shifting to XP because of problems with incompatible software, among others.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:55 PM   #10

This is another way to do it...

I don't bother with the ZoomBrowser program. I simply open the folder via start/computer/canon and then download the images to whatever folder I want them in and then use PhotoShop to work with the photos.

...and yes, I've usedZoomBrowser and don't care much for it.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote