Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:45 AM   #1

Hi

After a great deal of deliberation and reading of reviews and forums, Ive bought a Canon S3 feeling that I couldnt really justify the extra expense of the S5 for what appeared a very similar camera - especially for a relative novice.

Anyway, Im very happy with my decision so far and have had a great time getting to know it, however I am having problems viewing images on a TV screen. I didnt actually receive an AV cable with the camera, but cant imagine using another one would make a difference. Ive made sure the camera is set to PAL and the TV is set to video, but Im still just getting a black screen. I bought the camera from ebay, allegedly BNIB and havent found any other problems with it, but could this be one?

Has anyone got any ideas?

Also, does anyone know of a discussion thread specific to this camera sharing tips and such? I saw a great thread run by Sarah Joyce (I think her username is mtclimber here) on the dcresource website for the Kodak s700, and wondered if there was anything similar for my S3.

Thanks for you help

John
Silencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2
ms3

There is a site for S3/5 only info here:
http://www.s3users.com/forum/index.php
Good info and nice people.
ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:20 AM   #3

Thanks for that, that should be a big help.
Silencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:00 AM   #4

Silencio wrote:
Quote:
I am having problems viewing images on a TV screen. I didnt actually receive an AV cable with the camera, but cant imagine using another one would make a difference.
John
John,

It is strange that you did not get an AV cable with the camera - this is something that Canon always supplies for their models with video.

Anyway, if you used an after-market AV cable, make sure that the video terminals on the cable correspond to the proper terminals of the camera - note that the connection to the camera is a mini-jack that contains both the video and audio signals. Interchange them and you get what you got - a blank screen.

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote