Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:05 PM   #1

Hello:

Help anyone. I have replaced the date/time battery a couple of time. Unable to set, it keeps coming back to reset. I can still take pictures but very annoying. I have followed the directions explicitly. I hope the answer is very simple, help
rduarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:17 AM   #2

Hello rduarte,

I have owned my A720IS since December of 2006, and it ocassionally asks to reset the date and time when I power it on. Your question is timely, and I wonder if other owners have this problem. Help?
IntoTheWind2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:57 PM   #3

I just bought a new A720. It is an amazing piece of machinery. Every thing works as it is suppose to. The IQ is amazing. I owned a SD 700, and lost it. The IQ on the 720 is far Superior. If you can return it to were you bought it, they may replace it.

Lots of luck...Stu
stuart5936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:59 PM   #4

Make sure the battery has charge and is put in properly. I would measure it with a voltmeter to see if it still registers. Other than that, it should be fixed under warranty. I'm also recent owner of A720 and dont have this problem.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:58 PM   #5

i'm having the same problem. at first i thought the rechargeable AA batteries i had were bad since they're pretty old.

i didn't realize there was a small clock/watch battery (cr1220). i'm going to replace that tonight and see if it works.

i sure hope it does because i already clipped the upc code from the box for my $50 rebate from buy.com. if it turns out to be a bad camera, i won't be able to return it and will have to go to canon for warranty. i've only had the camera a week.

wish me luck.

chris c
cdcutlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:15 AM   #6

well, i replaced the small battery (cr1220) and everything seems to be ok.

i just want to say that my problem was weird, like others posted. every time i powered the camera back on it would reset that date but i could still take pictures without any problems.

i put in a new cr1220 battery and don't seem to have the reset problem any more. i've only had the camera a week and have taken about 80 pics or so...guess i just got a bad cr1220 battery or something.

i'll post back if anything changes.

chris c
cdcutlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:28 AM   #7

I too am having this problem. My experience is that even after replacing the little watch battery, if your AA batteries are less than fully charged, the time and date needs to be reset every time you turn the camera on.

I sent my camera in to Canon for repair for this issue and an unrelated issue (I cracked the internal display). They returned the camera, but didn't explicitly say that they had addressed the time/date issue (or even acknowledge that there was an issue.)

I called Canon back and they said that even though the watch battery is supposed to maintain the time/date, having weak AA batteries may cause this problem. This seems to be an accurate description of the situation, but IMHO this is a defect. If the batteries have enough juice to take a picture, I shouldn't have to reset time/date in order to do so. Nor should I have to replace the batteries to avoid this problem.

I'd be interested in hearing what those of you that had this problem have experienced since you first posted about it.

Also, is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Brian
bbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:28 PM   #8

I've had the A720 for almost 2 months and that never happened to me.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:26 AM   #9

I have resolved the problem. It appears to be caused by the watch battery contacts not being positioned such that they stay in contact with the battery. Here's what I did to fix it:

- removed the watch battery from the camera
- carefully bent the contacts toward the opening that the battery fits into
- put the watch battery back in

Since doing this, I've taken about 100 pictures over the course of a week, and the problem has not recurred. It's worth noting that part of this time was spent doing some extremely strenuous snowshoeing in the mountains outside Lake Placid with the camera in my pocket, and the problem did not recur, so I expect that the fix is fairly permanent.

I hope this helps anyone else that may run into this problem.

Brian
bbooker is offline   Reply With Quote