Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:58 PM   #1

I have settled on the S5 I think. I am not a photographer but do like good pictures. The camcorder like functionality is what tilted the scales to this camera over the Panasonic Z812. The concern. I always tend to by a very good item just before something that is a must have that I don't know about comes out. Is there a camera on the horizon that I should wait for today?

The second part of this post is about where to buy the camera. Online the prices range from $250 to $500. Anyone want to give recomendations? New Egg has the camera for $339 and offers extended warenties. Usually I look at these warrenties as wastes of money, but are digital cameras the exeption to this rule?
Mekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:53 AM   #2

Mekan wrote:
Quote:
I have settled on the S5 I think. I am not a photographer but do like good pictures. The camcorder like functionality is what tilted the scales to this camera over the Panasonic Z812. The concern. I always tend to by a very good item just before something that is a must have that I don't know about comes out. Is there a camera on the horizon that I should wait for today?

The second part of this post is about where to buy the camera. Online the prices range from $250 to $500. Anyone want to give recomendations? New Egg has the camera for $339 and offers extended warenties. Usually I look at these warrenties as wastes of money, but are digital cameras the exeption to this rule?
cost
I wish I knew if the camera was about to be dated. Costco has them for $379 with a built in extended warranty and a 90 day return policy. Amazon has them for $339 with free shipping.

The S5 is a compromise for me. Ideally, I'd like something smaller but movie capability is very important to me and the smaller cameras have limitations on their video usefulness.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:05 PM   #3

Costco no longer covers cameras with that great exchange policy. Cameras are now on a 90 day basis.
Mekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:21 PM   #4

Right, but 90 days is still the best return policy in the country. Between that and a two year warranty, it's a pretty good deal. I buy anything I can at Costco snce there's also a 2% rebate for Executive members, etc, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:19 PM   #5

I've been in photography for over 40 years and I have owned over 15 digital cameras since 1995. I love the technology age we live in.

:|

The PowerShot S5 IS is one of the better digital cameras out there. I did a lot of research before buying first the Olympus, (took it back) and now the Canon. I just bought mine yesterday at Wal Mart for $378. I hate waiting for things in the mail.

Unless you plan on keeping your camera a few years, the extended warranty is a waste of money. It is just a profit margin for the stores.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:46 PM   #6

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
I've been in photography for over 40 years and I have owned over 15 digital cameras since 1995. I love the technology age we live in.
now i see why your first shot much perfect than i've ever done ((:
HAKANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:56 AM   #7

I am from Ontario Canada - just bought a S5IS last week. Went to Niagara falls for a few days to try it out! It is a great little camera for my needs. Their festival of lights is on at Niagara and a great way to try the "night" scenes but still am not sure of all the settings and have the best luck in the "auto" setting. I paid $429.00 at a camera shop and expect yours was bought in the US??

I am not really answering your question but so far have had great results. I have a 21 day "trial" and can get my $ back if not happy - but have a feeling it's going to take me more then 21 days to figure this all out.....

My main concern at present is when I changed batteries last time it wiped out the date and time and it had to be reset - I suspect there is an internal battery in there some where......hmmmmm back to all the reviews then to the store with my list of questions !
Fergie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:25 AM   #8

Another option on buying the S5,....several retailers match prices with Amazon, which presently sells for $339 including shipping. OneCall.com is an example. Costco still has a 90 day return on cameras but only the factory one year warranty.

Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:43 AM   #9

Yes , I was told that at the camera shop.Camco/Amazon prices vary greatly from that of the US here.....
Fergie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:29 PM   #10

Fergie1947 wrote:
Quote:
.....when I changed batteries last time it wipped out the date and time and it had to be reset - I suspect there is an internal battery in there some
On most of my digicams, the clock has kept time& date when changing batteries, butthere's been no sign of a backup battery. So I expect they have a 'supercapacitor'in the circuit to store charge that will keep the clock going for just a limited time. If this is the case, one should have the new batteries ready to hand, and not waste time.

I expect one of the experts will say whether my guess is right.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote