Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:09 AM   #1

Hi Steve,

I've been reading your post for some time. Your website is very insightful. This will be my first post.

I'm interested in purchasing the Canon SD950 IS but concerned with it's speed. I've read several threads indicating faster performance w/faster sd cards. Are any of these claims legitimate?

Thankyou all for your help.
tater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:55 AM   #2

If you look at Steve's Conclusion, the SD950 IS is a very robust camera

"Shooting performance was very impressive for an ultra-compact camera, with power up until the first image captured measuring only 2 seconds! Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the shutter button and capturing an image, was almost instantaneous (less than 1/10 of a second) when pre-focused, and only 5/10 of a second including autofocus. In single frame drive mode, the shot to shot delay averaged 2.1 seconds without flash, and 2.4 seconds with flash depending on subject distance. Using the continuous (burst) mode, I was able to capture an image every 6/10 of a second for over 13 seconds with no variations in speed and no problems with a buffer. You can also shoot in burst mode with the flash, which is not common on most models, and I was able to capture an image every 1.2 seconds. This may vary with distance of subject. When shooting in burst mode, the LCD only briefly displays the last image captured, making it difficult to follow moving subjects; you'll achieve the best results by using the optical viewfinder in these situations. Our tests were done using a SanDisk Ultra II 4GB SD card, Manual mode, Large SuperFine quality, preview off, flash off, and all other settings at default (unless otherwise noted.) Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc. "

I think High-Speed cards will only make a difference in buffer clearing and write times. You "might" notice a slightly faster shot to shot time as well.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:10 AM   #3

Thankyou Billy, that was very helpful.

tater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:12 AM   #4

You're Welcome.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote