Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:27 AM   #11

brinkerz wrote:
Quote:
I have only just this afternoon taken the 720IS back to the retailer to question the long flash recycle time. They (of course?) suggested that the camera was faulty, yet I passed onto them commentry about the slow recycle time and they agreed it was way too long.

After a bit of 'humming and harring' - I have taken the Canon SX1000IS (despite the lousy review it got in this forum ringing in my head!).
Cost to move up to it was minimaland the flash recycle time is no more than a one and a half to two second count as opposed to seven with the 720IS.
An interesting point to note given the SX too, only takes two AA batteries as well (does that deflate the AA battery theory then??)

I won't be able to test this or any other unit to any degree to be considered a review in these pages (i.e. wouldn't know 'noise' if I fell over it) but I've got another fourteen days to have a fiddle and make up my mind.

I had the same concerns with my old A510. The flash recharge time was way too long for me. I switched to an A620 and the flash recharge time was very fast.

As for the SX being faster than the 720IS with the same two AA batts, the flash on the SX is weaker than the 720IS and therefore requires less juice to charge, so it charges faster.

I found that the elphs and the 4AA batt Canons have very fast flash recharge times. You may want to take a look at those cams too

Good luck

Mike682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:35 AM   #12

Mike682 wrote:
Quote:
I had the same concerns with my old A510. The flash recharge time was way too long for me. I switched to an A620 and the flash recharge time was very fast.

As for the SX being faster than the 720IS with the same two AA batts, the flash on the SX is weaker than the 720IS and therefore requires less juice to charge, so it charges faster.

I found that the elphs and the 4AA batt Canons have very fast flash recharge times. You may want to take a look at those cams too

Good luck
I have purchased three A610's previously for family and never had a drama with them I gotta say.

As for the flash weaker = two batteries = better response time .... it just goes to show there's an answer for everthing!! Thus the importance of forums and community advice. Thanks again!

You mentioned "elphs" though ??? Only elphs I know have a trunk!

brinkerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 9:36 AM   #13

Don't underestimate the power of collective wisdom (including forums such as this), Wikipedia is a good extreme example too.

I support the SX100's weaker flash = faster recharge. You can try the same if you set your A720's flash to 1/3 power (in manual modes, through some cluttered menus), then you can snap a picture as soon as the prev one is done writing to memory.

The SX100 is not a bad camera at all, better than A720 in some respects, if you can sacrifice the size and optical viewfinder, and about $60 increase in price.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote