Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1

Just bought a new A720is, and Steve was right on the money. Other than the long wait time for the flash to recycle, this camera is a wonderful machine. It is easy to us, the IQ is outstanding. It has everything a photographer would want from manual to auto. I own 5 Canon film cameras, going back a long way. I am new to digital photography. This is my second digital camera, as I lost my SD700. Comparing the photo's from both cameras, the 720 is far Superior.

Stu
stuart5936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:02 PM   #2

I'm very impressed with this camera as well. I don't do a lot of flash photography so the recycle times don't bother me. But it's probably due to trying to sip power from the alkaline batteries slowly rather than suck a lot at once that tends to deplete alkaline batteries quickly. I ordered a wireless slave flash that triggers with a main flash. I'm waiting for it to arrive and I'll see how it works so I don't have to use the main flash (still have to use it on low power as a trigger since the A720 has no PC or hotshoe).
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:54 PM   #3

I purchased 8, 2700 NIMH batteries w/ charger, and they seem to work well. I also have a flash from an old camera, that I was thinking of using with a slave. Still loving this camera., hoping you are too.

Stu

Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:54 PM   #4

Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:55 AM   #5

stuart5936 wrote:
Quote:
Just bought a new A720is, and Steve was right on the money. Other than the long wait time for the flash to recycle, this camera is a wonderful machine. It is easy to us, the IQ is outstanding. It has everything a photographer would want from manual to auto. I own 5 Canon film cameras, going back a long way. I am new to digital photography. This is my second digital camera, as I lost my SD700. Comparing the photo's from both cameras, the 720 is far Superior.

Stu
Yeah, the A720 IS is a great camera with a great price tag. As for thelong wait time for the flash to recycle, this is common among all models that use AA type batteries. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 6:47 AM   #6

billy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
this is common among all models that use AA type batteries.
Hi all! Firsttimer to Forums and first post ...

Have visited Steve's many times for advice in researching and it's invaluable. Keep up the good work!

With thanks to my PowerShot S60 falling victim to what I've since learnt isthe subject of the Canon CCD recall - I had to get another camera (as I was interstate on a special trip). THANKFULLY - I'd skimmed through Steve's pages only a few days before whilst investigating for someone else and I'd come across the Canon A720IS - which is what I finished up buying. All is wonderful with this camera thus far.

But this slow 'flash recycle time' issue is new to me. Never had it on the S60 of course and thus, it's driving me mad (I think). Count to 7 seconds everytime.

I have a fourteen day exchange period from my retailer for this camera of which seven days as already passed.

So my questions are - 1) As quoted, this is an issue wth AA battery cameras apparently. I have used the A610's before and not known this lag. Is itonly aproblemwith 2 x AA cameras or 4 x's also?

2) If I do move away from this camera because of the flash issue, can someone 'fast track' me in the direction of other suggestions please?
(The zoom whilst videoing function that I stumbled across onthe 720 would be nice to keep but not the end of the world.)

Thanks from downunder for your help!

Cheers.

brinkerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:59 AM   #7

Slow flash recycling probabaly affects all cameras that take AA batteries, especially only 2. You could try to reduce the flash amount with manual settings, so it uses less power & thus less time to recharge.

I would suggest using off camera slave flash triggered by the main flash. It'll make a huge difference in your pictures. But it requires more manual settings and setup (which the A720 does provide compared to other cameras). Or to take pictures in low-light without flash, increase the ISO setting (you'll get more noise in a small sensor camera like the A720 though), but it'll be more natural looking especially with the background environment.

Actually the A720 only has 4x digital zoom when recording video, so it's not as good as the full 6x optical zoom for regular pictures. Video digital zooming should be a fairly common feature in other cameras too.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:53 PM   #8

billy wrote
Quote:
Yeah, the A720 IS is a great camera with a great price tag. As for thelong wait time for the flash to recycle, this is common among all models that use AA type batteries. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
There is a huge difference between the 2 AA and 4 AA camera recharge times

Flash recharge is very slow on the cameras that use only 2 AA batteries as the power source. The cameras that use 4 AA batteries have much faster recharge times.

Mike682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:24 AM   #9

I am the one that posted this thread originally. I have been using the camera for some time now, and find it amazing. IQ is great. Slow recycle time is bothersome, Itry to shoot without flash, which is weak anyway, does not go out to far. I have 5 Canon cameras, and a SD700, which I lost, that said for the money, it is a great camera. I find the images very good.

Stu
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:17 AM   #10

I have only just this afternoon taken the 720IS back to the retailer to question the long flash recycle time. They (of course?) suggested that the camera was faulty, yet I passed onto them commentry about the slow recycle time and they agreed it was way too long.

After a bit of 'humming and harring' - I have taken the Canon SX1000IS (despite the lousy review it got in this forum ringing in my head!).
Cost to move up to it was minimaland the flash recycle time is no more than a one and a half to two second count as opposed to seven with the 720IS.
An interesting point to note given the SX too, only takes two AA batteries as well (does that deflate the AA battery theory then??)

I won't be able to test this or any other unit to any degree to be considered a review in these pages (i.e. wouldn't know 'noise' if I fell over it) but I've got another fourteen days to have a fiddle and make up my mind.

brinkerz is offline   Reply With Quote