Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:51 PM   #11

JohnGaltNY wrote:
Quote:
FIRST, Jack55 that was an incredibly useful explanation of ISO and why. Thank you for that.

Like you, I can't justify lugging around a suitcase for my hobby nor am I advanced enough to fully utilize a dSLR. Thus I decided to stay superzoom rather than XTi or E-510 when I moved up from the S2.

I will say that noise is an issue over 200 ISO but it's the same for the FZ18, FZ-50 and anything else any friend of mine shoots. However, Noiseware does a credible job for me.

Lastly, if you want to look at some images from a MUCH less than expert photographer, take a look at my pbase galleries starting with myS5 Test Shots[a href="http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny/s5_testshots"]. They may give you a more real world feel than pro image comparisons.

I love the S5/430EX combination and I think you will too.

JG
JG,

I made the mistake of posting why I liked the S5is over a DSLR in the DSLR area and got FLAMED bigtime. :lol:I won't go over there anymore!:roll:I had made the comment like I did in above post and added I didn't feel like paying the extra $2K plus just to get those expensive, heavy, bulky lense (100-400 to match the S5is range) w/camera bodyand that I could pretty much match most photos they take with an SLR.

Anyway, on the noise, that can be pretty much solved by keeping below 200 ISO and or flash. If you have to go above 200 ISO, then this software will help that: "Noise Ninja - Removing Image noise" Here is the link to that and more explaining about "Noise" and what to do about it. I got this from another member here, AlanT. He forgot to include the link to it... so here it is:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...ja_plugin.html

Now to go look at the photos you took with your canon...

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:51 PM   #12

Jack,

First, thanks for the link. Interesting stuff.

Second, I'd love to see what the dSLR crowd had to say. You must have really gotten the dogs barking.

Lastly, I made the exact same decision you did back in July. While I'm hardly rich, $1,000 - 2,000 would not have been difficult for me to budget. I looked at a number of dSLRs and decided I didn't want to carry all that around all the time. I keep my S5 with me (or close by) pretty much 24/7 and I wouldn't do that with the XTi, D40, or the E-510. The S5/430EX does 80% of a dSLR at 25% of the cost covering 36 - 400 mm. So I guess we are both just peasants.
JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:09 PM   #13

JohnGaltNY wrote:
Quote:
...So I guess we are both just peasants.
No, you're not. Like me, you're photographers with a literally lighter balance on the photography side of the photography vsrest-of-life balance. I could stretch the analogy to bank balances as well, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Everyphotographer must find his or her centre of gravity.Good quality pixels cost money, muscle strain. and inability to carry the shopping and/or the holiday suitcase as well as the camera.

And patience as well, waiting for the first good quality EVF live preview with exposure adjustment in a dSLR, which might weigh heavily one day on the dSLR side with me.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:04 AM   #14

OK,i'm pretty sure i'll get the S5,looks like a great camera for it's money,but i have a slight problem.I found it in multiple stores at different promotional offers,but there-s one that offers it at a very good price and includes a 2GB SD card and four rechargable batteries+charger and a 24 months warranty(others only offer 12,most don't offer cards and/or batteries).The problem is that this one is made in China,not in Japan.Is there a significant quality difference between those made in Japan and those made in China?I mean,i do get extra warranty,but how about the build quality,is it inferior?

Kind regards!

BTW,I'm from Bucharest,Romania...
gothmog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:47 AM   #15

gothmog22 wrote:
Quote:
OK,i'm pretty sure i'll get the S5,looks like a great camera for it's money,but i have a slight problem.I found it in multiple stores at different promotional offers,but there-s one that offers it at a very good price and includes a 2GB SD card and four rechargable batteries+charger and a 24 months warranty(others only offer 12,most don't offer cards and/or batteries).The problem is that this one is made in China,not in Japan.Is there a significant quality difference between those made in Japan and those made in China?I mean,i do get extra warranty,but how about the build quality,is it inferior?

Kind regards!

BTW,I'm from Bucharest,Romania...
I'd be REAL leary of the china one! Go for one of the other ones... play safe!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:44 AM   #16

I'm with Jack55 on this one. There are a lot of gray market horror stories out there.

JG
JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:28 AM   #17

Got it!Japan made,one year international warranty,2GB card+NiMH batteries&charger+bag.From today on i am the proud owner of a brand new PowerShot S5 IS.Feel pretty happy about that...thank you all for your posts,they've helped me a lot in taking this decision! I'll post good quality pics asap!
gothmog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:41 AM   #18

gothmog22 wrote:
Quote:
Got it!Japan made,one year international warranty,2GB card+NiMH batteries&charger+bag.From today on i am the proud owner of a brand new PowerShot S5 IS.Feel pretty happy about that...thank you all for your posts,they've helped me a lot in taking this decision! I'll post good quality pics asap!
Congrats! You'll love the camera. I sure like mine!
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:05 AM   #19

i have it since june and like it

pictures i took with it recently in Sevilla

and this is one from my backyard
sincero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:40 AM   #20

Very nice pictures! Great camera!