Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:47 PM   #21

Awesome pictures! I, too, have a S5 IS and LOVE IT! My husband has offered to buy me extra lenses, so now I'm just trying to figure out the best ones (for the money) to get! I've looked at Canon's, and they are kind of expensive. I also looked on eBAY and found a few different ones. Just wondering if anyone could give me some input on any! I've seen Digital Optics lens and Opteka lens....any insight?

Thanks!

Sarah
sarahwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:55 AM   #22

I just purchased an S5IS online and it is made in China and not Japan. Could someone who owns this camera tell me if it makes audible mechanism noise while automatically adjusting to a changing scene? I'm not talking about zooming. I'm talking about simply moving the camera so it is making focusing and stability adjustments. I hear audible clicks and tone pulses, while a "Made in Japan" version still displayed in a retail store has silent operation. I am having growing doubts about the "identicalness" of these two versions of the same model. I have no doubt they are both made by Canon, but I'm beginning to question if design changes have been made to cheapen it. Thanks.
odin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:01 AM   #23

sarahwms-

Add-on or accessory lenses vary wildly in optical quality, so one must be very careful in making a selection. Those found on e-bay are very low in optical quality. I am afraid that you would not be very happy with thoses lenses.

I am not pushing Canon's accessory lenses. I am just sharing with you that I did purchase lenses from e-bay and they were terrible. I just don't want to see you unhappy with the product and out the money.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:04 AM   #24

odin-

Check and see if you have a Canon Warranty Repair Station near you. If there is one close to you, it might be worth stopping by the Repair Station and have them inspect the camera, as it is apparently still in warranty.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:44 AM   #25

Sarah -

Thanks, but not an option, the only service center that comes up is 600 miles away. Besides I must decide whether to keep it or return it.
If you haven't seen my posting to Steve, Please do so at:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=98

Also please see/hear my "issue" at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb5JEJETTAk

If you have any answers, I'd appreciate it, thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:13 PM   #26

odin7 wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased an S5IS online and it is made in China and not Japan. Could someone who owns this camera tell me if it makes audible mechanism noise while automatically adjusting to a changing scene? I'm not talking about zooming. I'm talking about simply moving the camera so it is making focusing and stability adjustments. I hear audible clicks and tone pulses, while a "Made in Japan" version still displayed in a retail store has silent operation. I am having growing doubts about the "identicalness" of these two versions of the same model. I have no doubt they are both made by Canon, but I'm beginning to question if design changes have been made to cheapen it. Thanks.
If that camera was made in China, I doubt it is a true Canon, but a copy. China are very good at copying almost anything...
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:41 PM   #27

Thanks Sarah! I will probably go with Canon then....I guess it's true that you get what you pay for!

Sarah
sarahwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:12 PM   #28

The made in China S5IS's are genuine Canons. They are showing up in retail stores now too. It's simply that Canon has transfered the manufacturing to Chinese plants. I don't know the level of Canon oversight - whether these plants are actually run by Canon or Canon is simply outsourcing to Chinese companies to build the S5ISs. It would be an interesting discussion for Steve's website. Just exactly what is the relationship Canon has with these Chinese factories?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:18 PM   #29

odin7 wrote:
Quote:
The made in China S5IS's are genuine Canons. They are showing up in retail stores now too. It's simply that Canon has transfered the manufacturing to Chinese plants. I don't know the level of Canon oversight - whether these plants are actually run by Canon or Canon is simply outsourcing to Chinese companies to build the S5ISs. It would be an interesting discussion for Steve's website. Just exactly what is the relaionship Canon has with these Chinese factories?
First I've heard of it. Won't believe it until I see proof. Imimtation. I won't by a camera or notebook that was made in China.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:32 AM   #30

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
I won't by a camera or notebook that was made in China.
A couple of decades ago, this is what people said about computers coming out of Taiwan.

Today, just about every computer - desktop and laptop - are either entirely made in or make of parts from Taiwan.

And now, even China is getting in the game on computers.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote