Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:22 AM   #31

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
sarahwms-

Add-on or accessory lenses vary wildly in optical quality, so one must be very careful in making a selection. Those found on e-bay are very low in optical quality. I am afraid that you would not be very happy with thoses lenses.

I am not pushing Canon's accessory lenses. I am just sharing with you that I did purchase lenses from e-bay and they were terrible. I just don't want to see you unhappy with the product and out the money.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

If you don't mind me asking what BRAND did you purchase off eBAY?

THANKS!

Sarah

sarahwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:04 AM   #32

Hi!My S5 also makes noise while moving it without me zooming,it's the AF that makes it.Try turning the AF on single shot instead of continuous and move the camera.If it still makes noise,you have a problem.Mine is made in Japan,it makes a slight noise while auto focusing,but if i put the AF on single it stops making it.
gothmog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:12 AM   #33

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
jack55 wrote:
Quote:
I won't by a camera or notebook that was made in China.
A couple of decades ago, this is what people said about computers coming out of Taiwan.

Today, just about every computer - desktop and laptop - are either entirely made in or make of parts from Taiwan.

And now, even China is getting in the game on computers.
I'm not arguing that China makes computer parts... what I'm saying is:

China = cheap and poor quality. PERIOD!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:10 PM   #34

I certainly hope the Chinese made ones are not of any less quality! After reading through this thread and seeing there were some made in Japan and some in China I took a look at mine and it says made in China on the label. Its been far to long to return it. And so far seems great. I dont think there is any doubt its genuine, but I just hope its not of any less quality. I highly doubt anyone buying something online will get the chance to know where its made ahead of time.
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:44 PM   #35

mInDtrIP wrote:
Quote:
I certainly hope the Chinese made ones are not of any less quality! After reading through this thread and seeing there were some made in Japan and some in China I took a look at mine and it says made in China on the label. Its been far to long to return it. And so far seems great. I dont think there is any doubt its genuine, but I just hope its not of any less quality. I highly doubt anyone buying something online will get the chance to know where its made ahead of time.
And why I don't buy online unless it is a PROVEN company that has been in business for at LEAST 10 years!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:08 PM   #36

jack55 wrote:
Quote:

Jack,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am citing what today is a reality - whether good or bad - it is a situation we face: more and more American companies are sending their products to be made in China.

I use a Palm TX that says 'Made in China'. I use a mobile phone that says "Made in Korea Finished in China" - whatever this means.

The lure of lower manufacturing cost is too great to ignore.

Not surprising, therefore, that Canon would send some of their products for manufacturing in China.

We only hope that these companies maintain their quality even if the factories are in China.

I was once Technical Director of an American multi-national and we sent products for manufacturing overseas. We got excellent quality and innovation out of one of our factories in Asia.

a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:34 PM   #37

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
jack55 wrote:
Quote:

Jack,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am citing what today is a reality - whether good or bad - it is a situation we face: more and more American companies are sending their products to be made in China.

I use a Palm TX that says 'Made in China'. I use a mobile phone that says "Made in Korea Finished in China" - whatever this means.

The lure of lower manufacturing cost is too great to ignore.

Not surprising, therefore, that Canon would send some of their products for manufacturing in China.

We only hope that these companies maintain their quality even if the factories are in China.

I was once Technical Director of an American multi-national and we sent products for manufacturing overseas. We got excellent quality and innovation out of one of our factories in Asia.
What you say is true alright. I wish the government would make some laws that makes the companies keep their work here in the states... Laws that make it illegal to send work overseas...

BTW, I thought Canon was made in Japan, not USA. Mine says "made in Japan". Is Japan outsourcing now too?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:59 AM   #38

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
mInDtrIP wrote:
Quote:
And why I don't buy online unless it is a PROVEN company that has been in business for at LEAST 10 years!
Thats always good policy. However when given something as a gift its hard to say "dang it, you bought it from the wrong place" lol! But really, does it mean if the company is reputable and in business for 10 years mean they will only have Japanese made Canons? If so thats great, but I am thinking that doesnt mean much. I remember seeing the recipet from mine, its been a little while so I dont remember but it was Beach Camera or something like that, which was a seller on amazon that she said had a good rep (she at least knows to check sellers ratings and read the comments and feedback, etc.). I've never bought camera stuff online until now, my S1 and previously Olympus D-460 I both bought locally, and of course after buying them realized I paid well over $100 more than I could have got them for online.

Here are some pics... I assume this is the full retail version, its got the gazillion books and software, etc:

Fullsize http://tristan.homelinux.net/forum/s5_1full.JPG

Fullsize http://tristan.homelinux.net/forum/s5_2full.JPG

Fullsize http://tristan.homelinux.net/forum/s5_3full.JPG

Pics all taken with my Jap-built S1-IS :G
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:29 AM   #39

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
BTW, I thought Canon was made in Japan, not USA. Mine says "made in Japan". Is Japan outsourcing now too?
Jack55,

The Japanese also go where the cost is lower. From the threads on this topic, I guess they are also in China. My Canon photo printer says Made in Vietnam. It's all about the dollars and cents.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:38 AM   #40

mInDtrIP wrote: My S5IS says Made in Japan and came in a different box - not your blue box - but with the same software CD and manuals.

But your Made in China unit seems to have come with the lens adapter LA-DC58. I had to buy mine separately.

So I guess there are pros and cons to China-made. Your pro is you saved a few dollars with the lens adapter.