Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:13 AM   #41

Beach Camera has been around many years.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:50 AM   #42

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
My S5IS says Made in Japan and came in a different box - not your blue box - but with the same software CD and manuals.

But your Made in China unit seems to have come with the lens adapter LA-DC58. I had to buy mine separately.

So I guess there are pros and cons to China-made. Your pro is you saved a few dollars with the lens adapter.
Sorry I didnt mention, the lens adapter was purchased separately. I am just to lazy to take it off and put the stock lens ring back on just for a quick snapshot.

So perhaps the blue box (white on the ends still) is a give away. After hearing your box wasnt blue I took a closer look and on the underside of the box with all the fine print, it does say made in china right on the box.

Its to late for me but if everyone were to ask before buying to make sure the product wasnt China-made, and vendors couldnt sell them as well, maybe they would think twice. But of course not everyone is going to know, only a handfull of people frequent these forums it seems, and for all we know it doesnt make a difference either way.

Just like those folks who only buy American made stuff. They are far a few between and not enough to stop companies going overseas. I have a friend like that, always checking tags, researching products before buying, but of everyone I know thats only one person.

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
Beach Camera has been around many years.
Thats good to hear, at least they are a reputable company. Unfortunately that hasnt stopped them from ordering in the Chinese made Canons.

~Tristan
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:27 PM   #43

mInDtrIP wrote:

Just like those folks who only buy American made stuff. They are far a few between and not enough to stop companies going overseas. I have a friend like that, always checking tags, researching products before buying, but of everyone I know thats only one person.

I am one who reads who makes things I buy and if I see its made in china, I don't buy it, even if I have to pay more elsewhere...
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:36 AM   #44

odin7 wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased an S5IS online and it is made in China and not Japan. Could someone who owns this camera tell me if it makes audible mechanism noise while automatically adjusting to a changing scene? I'm not talking about zooming. I'm talking about simply moving the camera so it is making focusing and stability adjustments. I hear audible clicks and tone pulses, while a "Made in Japan" version still displayed in a retail store has silent operation. I am having growing doubts about the "identicalness" of these two versions of the same model. I have no doubt they are both made by Canon, but I'm beginning to question if design changes have been made to cheapen it. Thanks.
i turned my S5 on and started moving it around to see if i could hear the noise you were talking about and i couldnt. so i put my ear right up against the lens and i could just barely hear the mechanism sound. my canon is made in china and the only problem i can find is a few stuck pixels on the LCD.
you cant really return the camera if its not made in Japan can you?
does anyone else have any stuck or dead pixels? is it something to worry about?

thanks
Northerner26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:03 AM   #45

Northerner26 wrote:
Quote:
you cant really return the camera if its not made in Japan can you?
does anyone else have any stuck or dead pixels? is it something to worry about?

thanks
If you have the genuine Canon product and you think there is something wrong, I am sure you will be able to send it back to Canon.

I am sure a reputable company like Canon stands behind its products, regardless of where they are made.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:47 AM   #46

I just purchased a Canon S-5 based on John Galt's enthusiasm and his Canon S-5 photos. My is made in China, and it is perfect in every way and sharp as a tack.

Here is a photo I took through a window at some distant seagulls in a rain storm. It was a handheld shot. The detail is amazing, you can eaven see the raindrops on the seagull's back.

I am a happy camper and I also no longer have that heavy DSLR kit to cary around. All I need is the S-5 and my Canon EX-430 flash. By the way I wrote a twenty page Canon S-5 Flash Tutorial this past summer. That helped John Galt and it may help a few others as well. Here the photo I was taking about.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:35 PM   #47

Sarah,

After all the help you've been to me (and others) with the Flash tutorial and discussion, I'm truly glad I was able to show you a camera that will do an awful lot of things for a very reasonable cost and carry weight.

Regardless if I try a dSLR (now down to E-510 or XSi or NOTHING AT ALL) I will never get rid of the S5. NEVER.

Keep posting pix Sarah like the seagull. I'd like to really see what the S5 can do.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:55 PM   #48

John-

If you are still hungering after a DSLR, look for a good price on the Canon XTi, but I would stay away from the E-510, if it were me. You have to emply to many "work arounds" to get good photos.

Yes, I am enjoying the S-5 a lot. I received it on Friday and we have had nothing but rain here on the Oregon Coast since Friday. I am itching to get outside with it. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 24, 2008, 3:15 PM   #49

Thanks Sarah.

I'm actually going to borrow an XTi in 2 weeks for three days to see if it makes a real difference to me. Will take your advice on the E-510. In any event, I am still considering doing nothing at all and, if the XTi experiment doesn't show a marked difference, I'm not moving.

In either case, my S5/430EX stays with me forever. I'm glad you got it.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 3:21 PM   #50

John-

Thank you for the e-mail. I think that it is an excellent idea for you to have few days with the XTi. That way you can make an honest appraisal of the photos from the XTi versus the Canon S-5 and EX-430 combination.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce