Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:44 PM   #1

I had gotten the Olympus SP-560 and took it back after using it for two days. Nice zoom but way too slow. So I opted for my second choice, the PowerShot S5 IS and very glad I did... it completely blows away the Olympus. Here was a shot from my first day of using the Canon.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2007, 5:10 PM   #2

Nice shot, what year is that stingray? Mod list?? Looks very nice, and quick.

Glad you're happy with your purchase. The S5 IS is anawsome model.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 5:59 PM   #3

billy wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot, what year is that stingray? Mod list?? Looks very nice, and quick.

Glad you're happy with your purchase. The S5 IS is anawsome model.
Thanks! I love the Canon.

That is a custom 1977 I have. 500+ hp 383 stroker. Lambo doors, stinger hood, custom sidepipes are a few changes. Photosandmods on my website:

http://corvettec3.com/1977.htm
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:33 PM   #4

my first post for you very nice shot thar ! despite a little noise problem, S5 is a great cam.glad you r happy.
HAKANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:55 AM   #5

My first post also.I'm interested in S5 IS,i understand it's one of the best non-dslr slr-like cameras.I don't have any experience in taking photos,but i'm willing to learn (my day job is photo editor for a 2-d advertising company,so i need to know about taking pictures).Is it good for a beginner?I cannot afford a dslr,but i also need a camera that i won't toss in a year because it has become obsolete.Will the S5 do the trick for me?

P.S.-I keep hearing that it has a noise problem.How bad is it compared to other digital compact (prosumer or not) cameras?

Thnks!:-)

BTW,nice ride,they don't make them like they used to
gothmog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:27 AM   #6

gothmog22 wrote:
Quote:
My first post also.I'm interested in S5 IS,i understand it's one of the best non-dslr slr-like cameras.I don't have any experience in taking photos,but i'm willing to learn (my day job is photo editor for a 2-d advertising company,so i need to know about taking pictures).Is it good for a beginner?I cannot afford a dslr,but i also need a camera that i won't toss in a year because it has become obsolete.Will the S5 do the trick for me?

P.S.-I keep hearing that it has a noise problem.How bad is it compared to other digital compact (prosumer or not) cameras?

Thnks!:-)

BTW,nice ride,they don't make them like they used to
hello gthmog22,

I refuse to carry all the bulk you have to with an SLR, especailly with their bulky lenses.
Unless your a Sports PRO and make a living doing that... there is NO need to pack around all that luggage!
I'm a pro as I do digital & webmaster work for a living and this camera works fine for me.
I did well enough with the Sony H1 that I had the past 2 years... and the minolta before that, (notice my avatar was shot with the minolta).
Bottom line is IF you know how to use the camera many features, you can match any SLR photo.
You know... Your photos are only as good as the person behind the lense! The noise problem is only above 200 ISO due to the small sensor. All the non-slr cameras have this problem.

I saved these shots at 800 width pixels at #8 compression with photoshop for posting.

These 4 below are wide angle and zoomed in from my balcony of downtown Tacoma, WA

The shots are from the same place, same subject, but one is day and then other is night.

Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:24 PM   #7

gothmog22 wrote:
Quote:
The Canon S5 is a very capable camera, but there is one major caveat: You should NOT use the AUTO mode when shooting under dim light. This is because the camera may automatically selects the highest 'film speed' of ISO=800. This will produce extremely noisy, grainy, or pixilated images. The same problem occurs in Sports mode as well.

To avoid this problem, you should manually set ISO=200 or lower, then shoot in 'P' (Programmed mode) instead. Of course, now the exposure time is increased by 4x, so camera shake may be a problem even with image stabilization.

If image quality under low light condition is critical to you, your best choice is to upgrade to a digital SLR.

In order to explain the root cause of noisy images at high ISO: the so called 'film speed' for digital camera is a big scam. Unlike film camera world (where a film with higher ISO number means it has higher light sensitivity), the digital camera's optical sensor has a fixed sensitivity. The signal amplitude from each pixel is proportional to the to integral of light intensity and exposure time. To simulate a higher 'film speed' (from 200 to 400, for example), a digital camera simply reduces the exposure time by half. That means the signal amplitude from sensor is reduced by half. But since noise level from the sensor is fixed, the new signal-to-noise ratio is reduced by half. That is why images always become 'noisier' at higher ISO number.

The problem with noisy images is made worse by the "mega-pixel arms race", where camera makers continue to cram more pixels onto the same sensor area. The old S1 has 3.2 mega-pixel on its 0.4"x0.3" sensor. The new S5 has 8MP (2.5x more) in the same area. So the amount of light falling on each S5 pixel is only 40% that for the S1. The S1 can produce reasonably noise-free images at ISO=200. For the S5 sensor to produce the same signal strength, it needs 2.5X longer exposure time, which means ISO=80. That is why when you shoot the S5 at ISO=800, the noise problem is 10X worse compared to shooting the S1 at ISO=200.

The only reliable way to improve signal-to-noise ratio is to increase sensor area. Professional DSLR typically have full-frame sensors (36mmx24mm, or 10x larger than the sensor in S5). Those can operate up to ISO=1600 or even 3200 and still produce almost noise-free images. Prosumer DSLR such as the Rebel XT have smaller APS-C sensor (22.5mmx15mm, or 4x larger than the sensor in S5). So those can only operate satisfactorily up to ISO=800.

Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:56 AM   #8

gothmog22 wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful things can be done with noise reduction software. If you look at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=85...

There I have an ISO1600 shot from my Kodak Z712is (a direct competitor to the S5is). In that thread 'Bynx', whom you may well know around here, put my rather grainy shot, (albeit acceptable to me anyway) through 'Noise Ninja' with miraculous results. But I don't go over ISO200 if I can possibly avoid it. For comparative reviews of these two cameras see...

http://www.wrexham-cameras.com/WHATS...-DIGI-MAIN.htm

...and go to the bottom of the page. I love my small, light, cheap Z712, but I gather most folk will find the S5 more 'solid'.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:57 AM   #9

Thank you for your posts,I'm almost sure I'll go with the S5.I do not know in what conditions i will use it,mostly day time i guess as i like landscapes and not necessarily action photos,and i believe a tripod&longer exposure time will do the trick for keeping the noise down(there is,off-course,noise-reduction software as you mentioned which does a good job).I've compared it with other cameras like the DSC-H7 or DMC FZ18 and i can say i like the Canon best,mainly because of the REC button-stereo capture(video),hot-shoe and the mobile LCD which enables capture from different angles.I like zooming to details and believe that the 12x is more than enough for what i need (the FZ18 has higher zoom but...it's not Canon if you know what i mean...:-)).

Kind regards!

gothmog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:24 AM   #10

FIRST, Jack55 that was an incredibly useful explanation of ISO and why. Thank you for that.

Gothmog, I've had an S5 since July and an S2 for 18 mos before that so let me add my .02.

Like you, I can't justify lugging around a suitcase for my hobby nor am I advanced enough to fully utilize a dSLR. Thus I decided to stay superzoom rather than XTi or E-510 when I moved up from the S2.

The S5 (like all S series) is as good or better than I need at pretty much anything other than indoors/low light. I solved that with the 430EX external Flash ($230.00 or so). I also like the AA batteries. I have 2 sets of rechargeables & carry 3 sets of alkaline so I'm never gonna get stuck. To have the same guarantee in Li s would cost a fortune.

In addition, possibly because I knew the S2, I like the acessibility of Canon's settings. I hate menus in the middle of shooting.

I will say that noise is an issue over 200 ISO but it's the same for the FZ18, FZ-50 and anything else any friend of mine shoots. However, Noiseware does a credible job for me.

Lastly, if you want to look at some images from a MUCH less than expert photographer, take a look at my pbase galleries starting with myS5 Test Shots[a href="http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny/s5_testshots"]. They may give you a more real world feel than pro image comparisons.

I love the S5/430EX combination and I think you will too.

Good luck.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote