Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:36 PM   #1

I remember the S1 being a little picky with CF cards how do you think the adapters would work. I have many SD cards and would love to use these with the SD to CF adapter on my S1IS.
Attached Images

garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't know if it would work or not. I have seen SD - CF adapters used in a couple of DSLR models before (with the now discontinued Konica Minolta SD - CF Adapter). That PNY looks like it's probably similar. Just be careful as some of them protrude from the camera and won't work (that one appears to be the type that would from outward appearances).

I would not expect it to work with larger SD Cards (you're probably better off sticking to 1GB or smaller cards and avoiding SDHC type cards entirely, as those would be virtually guaranteed not to work). You'd have to try it with the cards you have to find out for sure unless someone else here has used one in your camera model with the same SD cards you have. I suspect it probably would work with 1GB or smaller SD cards, though.

As for CompactFlash Compatibility with the S1 IS, I'd check your firmware version. Canon released newer firmware relatively early in the production run to address some compatibility issues this model had with some cards, and if you have the original firmware, that may explain why you've found your model to be "picky" with CF cards.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:46 PM   #3

Thanks JimC I have a bunch of 2G standard cards and 2G micro with adapter. I am hoping someone would step up who has actually tried this. If I buy the adapter that is actually the size of a CF card and works with 2G and lower that would be a dream. I would not need to buy two different cards one SD does it all.

BTW. I have the latest firmware for my S1. I just had the impression that the CF card conflicts still exists.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 9:39 PM   #4
Administrator

I dunno.

From my perspective, higher capacity CompactFlash cards probably cost less than you'd pay for the adapter anymore, and you'd avoid any compatibility issues or performance degradation from adapter electronics trying to translate between Secure Digital and CompactFlash media.

You also wouldn't be limited to non-SDHC card types (since SD to CF Adapters are only going to work with SD Cards from the models I've seen). So, you could use larger CompactFlash Cards with it (your cameras supports FAT32, so it should work fine with CompactFlash media larger than 2GB. I wouldn't expect that adapter to work with larger SD cards, though.

Memory Card prices are dropping pretty fast lately.

For example, I recently bought a Transcend 133x 16GB CompactFlash Card for only $119.95 at http://www.newegg.com (working out to around $7.50/GB).

You could probably find even better "bang for the buck" in 8GB or smaller CompactFlash cards (you can find 8GB cards for around $50 now). Memory cards have probably dropped a lot since you bought those 2GB SD Cards.

Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:50 PM   #5

I know that cards have come down quite a bit. Not as much for Canadians though, but that's not really the point. I'm trying to avoid carry another card. I'd rather keep buying SD cards for future camera's. It seems there may be two formats left in the future. Three if you want to count on Sony's memory stick. No other company uses this card but the sheer size of sony and their game of forcing you to use a memory stick is what keeps this card alive. Anyway I have come across some adapters from ebay and the Panasonic supports SDHC that would be ideal because I do have a old flashtrax I could use it for as well. With cost of shipping it should be around 40$US. Not to pricey.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:06 PM   #6
Administrator

Yes, I see a new adapter supporting SDHC that a vendor is shipping from Hong Kong now:

Ebay Listings search for SDHC to CompactFlash Adapters

I didn't realize anyone had one yet wth SDHC support. You'd have to try it find out if it works OK. Let us know if you get one.