Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:14 PM   #1

Hello all...I currently own a Panasonic TZ1 and have grown tired this camera. The pictures are just not crisp and it never seems to focus on the subject. Since I always hear great things about the Canon line that is where I have turned for my next camera. Please help me decide which to get. First, here is what I liked about the TZ1:
  • LONG optical zoom [/*]
  • Relatively small, easy to tote around [/*]
  • large screen [/*]
  • Good movie mode that allows zooming during movies (I know this is hard to come by in this segment) [/*]
  • Dedicated AF illuminator[/*]
So I turn to these Canons. They all are 8MP (I assume image quality would be basically the same across the board with the same sensor, right?), with IS, and face detection

SD870IS: Pros: Nice and small, large 3" screen, IS, nice wide angle. Cons: Proprietary battery, short optical zoom

A720IS: Pros: Moderate zoom, Price, moderate size, AA batteries. Cons: Zoom is not as long as TZ1, a bit large in comparison to TZ

SX100IS: 10x zoom, AA batteries. Cons: Biggest in this group, seems cheaply built, lower res screen, reviews I have read about poor performance in speed and movie mode

At this point I am leaning towards the A720 since it is the middle of the road on most accounts and based on my findings, appears to be a great camera. Any advice/opinions?
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2007, 7:05 PM   #2

I have a Canon a710 and really like it. Video is important to me and they are wonderful. I have learned to work around the fact that the camera will not zoom during video. I don't think any of the ones you're considering will zoom during video but all will take the great Canon videos. They seem to have that down pat.

For me, the determining factor would be the optical viewfinder. I will never have another camera without one.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:41 PM   #3

Canon SD850is?
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:45 AM   #4

I just bought the 720 IS for my son-in-law. I tested the camera before giving it to him. I was quite happy with everything except the shutter lag between flash shots.(There is no lag to speak of between non-flash shots.) I read about this fault in many userreviews but didn't think it would be too big a deal as my son-in-law isn't the shutter bug I am. This is the only reason I wouldn't buy this camera. It would be a deal breaker for me as I tend to click one photo right after the other. It's a shame because for $200 the camera is excellent...unless you want a super zoom, of course!

My SIL loves the video on the 720. In fact, he's using it mostly for that at the moment.

I purchased a "pro" Kingston 2 G memory card. Sorry...can't remember the exact name but I paid $27 on amazon. With this card there wasabout a 5 second delay between flash shots. I'm not sure if an Extreme III card would help the delay issueor not.

Good luck with your decision!

MaryRose
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:07 PM   #5

I just went through a similar search process and ended up with the A720 IS. I eliminated the A870IS for several reasons - it's very expensive, it's too small to get a good grip and it doesn't have manual controls. I seriously considered the SX100 but in the end I couldn't justify paying an extra $70 for an additional 4x (140mm) of zoom minus the optical viewfinder of the A720IS.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:59 PM   #6

have you considered looking at the panasonic tz3....steve gives it a good review...good luck
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:28 PM   #7

I thought I would mention the fact that the Canon A720 IS does indeed Zoom while shooting video. I just checked one out this afternoon. If I can sell my A560 I'm definitely buying one.
The flash shutter lag is about 4 seconds. It's not a deal killer for me as this will be my backup for my S3 IS.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:16 AM   #8

Does it really...Everything I have read about the A720IS indicates that the optical zoom is inactive during movies. Did you use the optical zoom or the digital zoom while shooting a movie?
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:46 AM   #9

You may be mistaken about the A720 optically zooming during video. If it did, I'd buy one in a minute to replace my A710, which is a great camera in every other respect.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:25 AM   #10

Sorry for the late reply, it is a digital zoom but it is very quiet. I wish it was optical too but I don't expect it it to record as well as my Canon S3. But this camera impressed me enough with all it's features that I did purchase it. I can just snap it to my belt and still have a fully manual, 6X zoom camera with me. For the price~$189.00, it's a lot of camera and like my S3, I think it's a keeper.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote