Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:46 AM   #1

Sometimes when I take pictures in continuous mode the shutter speed will be normal like it shoud be in action shots Other times its like every second. I went to the camera store they changed it went fast again now its slow again I lost settings. noooo
mattr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:33 AM   #2
Administrator

For one thing, the camera needs to keep the shutter open long enough to expose the image. So, in lower light, that's going to impact your frame rate.

The other thing that will impact it is Autofocus speed (and in lower light, the Autofocus is going to slow down).

It looks like you've got more than one way Continuous Shooting mode can work with your camera (Continuous with and without Continuous AF). In Continuous AF mode, it's going to refocus between frames (and that will probably slow it down considerably in low light with lower contrast subjects).

Here is what Steve's Review Conclusion says about it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_..._s5is_pg6.html

There's also two continuous or burst shooting modes, Continuous and Continuous Shooting AF. In Standard mode, I was able to capture images at 6/10-second intervals; the viewfinders briefly displayed the last captured image between shots, making it difficult to follow a moving subject. In Continuous Shooting AF mode, shots were captured at a slower rate of 1 second intervals, but the autofocus system acquires focus for each shot; between shots, the viewfinders briefly display the live image. I was impressed that the only limit on the number of continuously captured images was the amount of available memory on the installed memory card; the S5's buffer was able to empty as fast as images could be captured.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:39 PM   #3

What is standard mode?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:43 PM   #4

I was wondering what the standard menu settings are? on either contininuous mode they are still slow. Are their any settings in the menu that I can change to speed this up?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:09 PM   #5
Administrator

With your mode dial in P, Tv, Av and M modes, you'll find an AF Mode choice in your menus. Set AF mode to Single versus Continuous there. Then, use the drive mode button (close to your shutter button) to set the camera to continuous shooting. See if that solves the slow frame rate you're seeing.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote