Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:33 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

My first post here. Seems like a helpful community.

My Mom received a Canon A570 for Christmas and I was trying to help her get it up and running. But was road blockedright away, due to the Windows platform she using. She currently has Win 98 second edition installed. :?

Is is possible to find and install the driver for that camera separately, and the use a software picture download package (like picasa or something)?

Will it be possible to get this combination up and running or willshe have to either take the camera back, or upgrade her operating system?

Thanks

Dave Alexander

Dave Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 2:34 PM   #2
Administrator

I do not see a Win '98 driver listed for the A570 IS on Canon's support pages for it.

I'd suggest buying her a USB 2.0 card reader with drivers for Windows '98 (and check the specs carefully to make sure the reader you buy does have Windows 98 drivers).

That way, you wouldn't need to worry about drivers for the camera (just use the card reader to transfer the images from the memory card to the PC).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:19 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

If you really want to use the USB interface with the camera (versus just buying a card reader), then you may not have enough "horsepower" to run a newer version of Windows.

Many older PCs running Windows '98 are not going to run very well with newer Windows versions (which tend to be resource hogs in comparison to Win '98 ).

Another option would be to install Linux on it instead (and you could leave Windows '98 on it in a dual boot configuration, so that you could boot into either Windows or Linux as desired).

Many modern linux distros include libraries that can interface to that Canon model OK.

Many free linux distros also include a lot of good software pre installed (Open Office, Firefox, digiKam, etc.). I switched my wife to SimplyMEPIS over 2 years ago, and I stay in it more than Windows myself (I'm typing in Firefox running under the new SimplyMEPIS 7.0 right now. I rarely hear about PC problems from her now (and I used to need to fix things all the time with Windows, as well as trying to keep her clean from spyware, viruses, etc.). The best part, is that she likes it better, too. lol

In addition to some of the already installed image editors like digikam, you can also use Picasa (I noticed you mentioned it, and they have a version that runs under Linux now).

If you want to consider that option, let us know what kind of PC it is (CPU, RAM, Disk Drive Size) to get a better idea of what linux distro would run well on it. Many can also run from a Live CD now (so you can make sure they work OK with your hardware before installing them).

But, a fast solution would be to buy a card reader with Windows '98 drivers, instead of interfacing directly to the camera (although she may prefer Linux if you installed it for her, and that would also eliminate a lot of the Windows virus/spyware/security headaches if she used it instead of Windows).

Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:43 PM   #4

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that info & speedy response! That all seems pretty clear to me, and runningit by my Mom the card reader seemed like the best option (Simpler of the 2 to her). I had been thinking that one (USB Card reader)would work, but thoughtIf I could get a Win98 supported driverthat would have been even more straight forward for her.

I find the Linux operating system interesting and my consider that one for my own PC. I really am not crazy about windows/Pc's. thinking about getting aMAC for my next tool. Is Linux offered as freeware or is it a purchased deal?

Cheers & Thanks,

Dave
Dave Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:32 PM   #5
Administrator

Most Linux distributions are free.

I'd suggest trying SimplyMEPIS 7.0. You'll see download links for it in the announcement at distrowatch here:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04667

More download mirrors are on this page:

http://www.mepis.org/mirrors

I'd go with the 32 bit version (less driver compatiblity issues compared to the 64 bit versions, and the 32 bit kernel has SMP support). It's around a 700MB download.

Basically, you just download the .iso and burn it to CD using a tool designed for that purpose. With Windows, I usually use the free version of Deepburner. It's the second download choice on this page:

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

Basically, you just burn the .iso file to a CD and boot into it. It will be very slow running from CD (because of the drive speed, and it's decompressing software "on the fly"). That way, you can see if it runs OK on your hardware before installing it.

If you like it, then you can resize your NTFS partition to make room for Linux partitions and install it to hard disk in a dual boot configuration. See the Getting and Installing MEPIS section of the Wiki for more details:

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Main_Page

Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:39 AM   #6

Easiest way is the get a USB card reader but you will still have to hunt for one that is compatible with Win98 or has the Win98 drivers available.

I don't suggest trying to get your mom to learn Linuxjust to hook up her camera, unless she wants to. Lots of cheap computers on sale right now with XP.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:37 PM   #7

What if you buy one of those Sandisk Ultra II "Plus" (USB) cards? Won't that solve the problem?
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 4:45 PM   #8

I had the same problem. I did manage to install the Twain driver though. I downloaded and installed the last version that Canon published for Win98. You can find it by Googling for "Canon Camera Twain driver 6.6.3". When you plug in the A570IS Win98 will look for a driver but will not find one. If you put the software disk that came with the camera in the CD drive and tell Win98 to look there in SOFTWARE/TWAIN67/WIN_2K98 it should find it.
The Twain driver is OK for a quick look at the pictures you have taken and will work with almost any image software with a File> Acquire function. I am using IrfanView which can acquire singly or in batches. Do get a card reader if you want to handle a lot of images though.
middleman is offline   Reply With Quote