Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:26 AM   #11

sebastianr wrote:
Quote:
I would go with a Raynox for the closeup. Much cheaper than Canons original, but I hardly think they are of lower quality. Excellent stuff to say the least, dont think anyones been dissapointed in a Raynox closeup.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/...exdcr150eg.htm

Here are a few, very little postprocessed and hardly even cropped, shots from my site, taken with the very strong (a bit too strong actually) DCR-250. I though recommend the DCR-150 with strength +4 for macro, so you can capture larger things too and not be limited to 4cm across subjects...

Great Photos no matter what camera took it!!! As good as any SLR can do too.

I keep saying it is the photographer behind the lense more than it is the camera.

Great Shots... I love it!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 5:13 AM   #12

Wow, thanks
Glad you liked them.
More pics from my S3 on my swedish page http://sebastianfoto.se/
Just click the menus at top and watch the pics, dont bother understanding the swedish
Exif left in every picture too for the interrested...

Sadly some people try to "buy their pictures" by getting incredibly expensive gear....not always necessary though.

Sadly I cant print mine as large as a DSLR though...but I can do 16x12 and thats often big enough.
sebastianr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:40 PM   #13

I just wanted to say I got my DCR-150 the other day and got a chance to use it for the first time last night. I see its going to take some practice! Conditions were poor, I didnt have good ambient lighting had to use pop up flash, as well as hand held camera. I see I may need to get a focusing rail adapter for the tripod.

I dont think the DCR-150 is going to work for what I wanted though, getting closeups of fish in the aquarium... I didnt realize its focusing distance is so close. I forget off hand but it seemed to be less than a foot. And the absolutesmallest thing I could picture was larger than could fit in the frame... a ~1" long cherry shrimp (I had it on a small plstic dish set out on the table). I didnt try to back off from full telephoto though that might fit more in the picture I assume. It also has an extremely short depth of focus to it. I think this might work great for other things but I am thinking the Canon 500D macro might be better for my aquarium. As I understand it will focus at about 20" away correct? That would be more appropriate since my tank is already 24" front to back straight across. With the Raynox I'd probably only be able to picture something thats right on the front edge which wont be hardly anything.

Or still looking for any other reccomendations for a macro lense that would focus around the 20" mark and give me acouple inches across.
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:54 PM   #14
djb

I don't usually read this forum as I don't have a P&S but, I bought my wife a S5 IS and wanted to get sme feedback by reading here. then I saw this and I have the Raynox DCR-2020 (i think) for my old fuji s602z. It is big but is quite good considering. It is a 2.2X tele so the S5 IS would have a 35mm equivalent to about 800 to 900 mm (too lazy to do the rithmatic) and at a constant f/2.8 if I recall corectly or at least the camera's f/ratios without loss of light. If you want i can try to find my old files of a really poor comparison of before and after (poor meaning my technique of comparison, not the lens) there is a little color fringing but really not all that bad. I don't know what Raynox has to offer now and their lenses may be even better than mine ( circa 2003). Sony supposedly made a 1.7X tele and was considered the best around but, it was expensive.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:37 AM   #15

Not that I have scoured the forums thoroughly, but I dont believe I have really seen anyone using a tele multiplier lens for their 'late model' S. I'd love to see some real pics using a multiplier... 800-900 mm is nuts lol! The common response is that the 3rd party multipliers just degrade quality too much. While this may be true for most, I'd still like to see some actual pics taken at full zoom & full zoom w/ multiplier just to see for myself. I always bring my camera with me in the woods while deer hunting in the fall, and often times I get a deer or bird out over a hundred yards away and would love to get a bit more zoom.

So Dennis, please if you find that lens take a few pics for us!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:45 PM   #16
djb

Well, sorry to disappoint you folks but, I think I may have deleted my ranox shots due to having much better pics of the same type of critters. But, here is a url that shows what a raynox dcr-2020 can do. these are not mine but, very good examples and probably more to date than mine..

dennis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davesph.../tags/dcr2020/
Old Jan 16, 2008, 2:08 PM   #17
djb

I did find a couple of test shots I took in 2004 with my old fuji s602z at an interpolated 6MP. these are 100% crops with only a little sharpening.

dennis

1. without the raynox dcr-2020

Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2008, 2:08 PM   #18
djb

2. with the raynox dcr-2020

Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:11 PM   #19

Thanks for the images. Though I'd still like to see an actual side by side comparison using something like an S3 / S5.

BTW Here is all Raynox offerings for the S2&up:
http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/S2is/index.htm

They do still sell the
DCR-2020PRO but at a cost of about $200 I think the 12X zoom of the camera will suffice.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:28 PM   #20

mInDtrIP wrote:
Quote:
I just wanted to say I got my DCR-150 the other day and got a chance to use it for the first time last night. I see its going to take some practice! Conditions were poor, I didnt have good ambient lighting had to use pop up flash, as well as hand held camera. I see I may need to get a focusing rail adapter for the tripod.

I dont think the DCR-150 is going to work for what I wanted though, getting closeups of fish in the aquarium... I didnt realize its focusing distance is so close. I forget off hand but it seemed to be less than a foot. And the absolutesmallest thing I could picture was larger than could fit in the frame... a ~1" long cherry shrimp (I had it on a small plstic dish set out on the table). I didnt try to back off from full telephoto though that might fit more in the picture I assume. It also has an extremely short depth of focus to it. I think this might work great for other things but I am thinking the Canon 500D macro might be better for my aquarium. As I understand it will focus at about 20" away correct? That would be more appropriate since my tank is already 24" front to back straight across. With the Raynox I'd probably only be able to picture something thats right on the front edge which wont be hardly anything.

Or still looking for any other reccomendations for a macro lense that would focus around the 20" mark and give me acouple inches across.
Of course if you only use it with full tele you'll get incredible magnification....you're supposed to use the zoom to control magnification.
Zoom out as much as you can without getting vignetted corners and see if its enough.

Its like buying a car and only drive full speed all the time, saying "this car is too fast for me, I have to change car so I can drive slower"....
sebastianr is offline   Reply With Quote