Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:18 PM   #1

Just purchased the new 16gig sdhc for use with my S5 and was wondering if anyone else has this card (A-Data) and their opinon after useing it.

I soon found out after taking some test shots that my SD reader could not handle any card of this size, but I was able to download my picturesconnecting the camera to the pc. The card is really a little over 14 gigs of actual memory and was reconized immediately upon start up. Seems I will need a SDHC Reader as well to go with the card.

I did some short videos and some other test shots and they transferred wihout a hitch. I wanted this card primarily to shoot videos while on vacation. Having owned both the S1 and S2 I, think the S5 will be a joy to use.
steve sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:40 PM   #2

I just got my S5 for christmas and upon seeing the 32MB card in the box I almost laughed. Why do they even bother? LOL So yeah first thing I did was buy the 16GB! Unless your shooting a lot of video, that one card should handle just about any trip you could do!

Card registers as 14.9GB in the settings menu on the camera. I have heard this is actually slightly higher than some other 16GB cards.

Set at full res and super fine, the camera reports about 4500 pictures remaining.

With video set on max quality 640x480x30fps it reports 121'55" of video time remaining.

Transfer speed was the fastest I have seen yet, didnt actually measure but at full quality it seemed to take less than a second per pic to transfer to the pc over the usb cable.

Like Steve, my current universal reader would not read it. No biggie for me, just got to install the software on my pc's and laptop to do the transfer over the cable.

Lastly, one con, is that the case of this card seems a little thicker than the 32MB card that came with the camera... it doesnt slide in easy, I had to actually press it down and pull it back up slightly to click in place. Then to eject I had to press down and pull up all manually, no springiness (is that a word?) like the other card.

These cards are still pricey but with the 32GB cards comming out the price has come down. I got mine from ecost.com for $74.98.
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:27 AM   #3

mInDtrIP wrote:
Quote:
Lastly, one con, is that the case of this card seems a little thicker than the 32MB card that came with the camera... it doesnt slide in easy, I had to actually press it down and pull it back up slightly to click in place. Then to eject I had to press down and pull up all manually, no springiness (is that a word?) like the other card.
This sounds unusual. Both SD and SDHC cards are supposed to have the same dimentions - 32mm x 24mm x 2.1mm. What brand is your 16GB SDHC?

Also, the spring action is supposed to be there whether you use an SD or a SDHC card. Press down, let go and the card pops up.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:26 AM   #4

I have the A-Data, like the first post said. Yes the spring action is there, since the little 32MB card that came with it will practically launch itself out of the slot... but if the card fits to snug it doesnt do anything... meaning no pop up. Perhaps its the humidity, or maybe just because I havent used it enough yet.

Update: Just to confirm it is less than 1 second per pic transfer, I had 30 pics and it took about 25 seconds. And I am not even sure if its USB2, its my 5 yr old PC, I'll have to try it also on my laptop which is newer to see if its any faster yet.

~Tristan
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:17 PM   #5

I agree with MinDtrip, the card does not exactly pop up and is a little more reluctant to insert itself, but however once it's in it works without a snag. I normaly do not use the Canon software to download my picts or videos since it helps to drain the battery, but I found I can download the files to either Zoombrowser (Canon files) or choose to send to My Pictures.

Their may be some slight difference in the A-Data SD card size for this 16gig card but not enough at this time to not warrant it's use in the S5. My transfer speed was very good as well. I guess time and more use with this card may be a topic for further recommendations.

A few years back I paid about the same for a 1 gig SD card for my Canon S1, so I was not hesitant to try this one with my S5. Their are other brands available costing more but I took a chance with this one after reading the reviews on Newegg.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:28 PM   #6

Good news... no more issues with mine being to tight a fit. It must have just taken a few times of putting it in and taking out and now it glides pretty easy and spring ejects just like my other.

As a side note I found another gig of memory for it laying around I forgot about the minisd card I had in my last phone that of course when they came out with the new model now took microsd :angry: and it came with a regular sd adapter so in the camera it went, and works just fine, its kingston brand minisd and adapter. Thats good enough for my backup. Always been a peeve of mine how many different memory cards there are. Folks think its bad enough there are two different HD DVD standards, blueray and hddvd... what if there was a dozen! I am still waiting for the nanoSD card... it will come with tweezers and a magnifying glass to help you put it in. :G
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:22 PM   #7

Today I tried out my new SanDisK card reader for the SDHC cards, plugged it into the usb and it read my 16gig (14.9)immediately. By the way, I didn't have any problems re-enserting the SD card back into the camera this time mabey it just needed to be seated a few times.