Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Well I am planning to buy the A720IS and wondering which SD card should I buy with it?

I live in India and out here; Sandisk is the only trustable and easily available brand. Hence I would be looking into one of their products only. So should I opt for the Standard[/b] 2/4 GB or should I go for the Ultra[/b] 2/4 GB or should I go for Extreme[/b] 2/4Gb???

Will there be any performance boost by using a faster card or is it just a waste of money getting the faster card?
Thanz for your help (in advance)...
surdy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:31 PM   #2
Administrator

I would go with a faster card. It supports both SD and SDHC, and I'd probably get a Class 6 SDHC card with it. Faster memory cards don't cost much anymore.

If you wanted to stay with Sandisk, I'd probably go Extreme III (but, I wouldn't spend the money on the more expensive Extreme IV).

Personally, I'd probably get something like this Transcend Class 6 8GB SDHC card with free shipping for $36.99 instead though (and it's got a lifetime warranty).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208293

You'll see lots of other choices here:

SDHC Cards at newegg.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:50 AM   #3

I just tested the 720IS and the shutter lag between flash shots was about 5 seconds. I was using a "pro" Kingston 2 G card. (Sorry...can't remember the exact name of the card. I paid $27 for it on amazon.com.)

The faster card did shave off about a second. Not sure if Extreme III would help even more but I wouldn't get a "regular" memory card. The shutter lag between flash shots is prettybad on this camera. Other than that.....a great camera.

There is no lag to speak between shotsof if you aren't using the flash.
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Administrator

The slow recycle times with flash has to do with how long it takes to recharge the capacitor for the flash, not the speed of the memory card you're using. ;-)

ISO speed and distance to subjectwill cause flash recycle time to vary. That's because the closer you are to a subject, the shorter the flash burst can be for proper exposure (so, the recycle time is faster since the capacitor isn't fully discharged). Some models also have more flash range compared to others.

ISO speed impacts it because a shorter flash burst can be used at higher ISO speeds. Lens brightness also impacts it, and with the majority of smaller models, lenses lose light as you zoom in more (so a longer flash burst is needed to illuminate a subject if you are zooming in much).

Battery type also influences it. As a general rule, models using smaller batteries (or 2 AA batteries versus 4 AA batteries) are going to take longer to recycle when everything else is equal between models (and it rarely is).

Steve covers recycle times with and without a flash in the Conclusion sections of each model's review here.

The slow recycle times you're seeing with flash has nothing to do with the speed of the memory card. The bottleneck is the time it takes to recharge the capacitor used by the flash, not how fast the camera can write to media.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote