Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:22 PM   #1

Having just bought a G9 after reading loads of reviews I am disappointed with the image quality. The G9 does not compare with my Olympus C 4000 Zoom for pin sharp pictures,maybe its me not used to the G9 but the first hundred or so shots do not seem to have the same bite that the Olympus has. I am using the full 12 meg printing on to A4 could this be the problem?
Kenko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:01 PM   #2

The Olympus C4000 has a 1/1.8" with 4 MP while the G9 has a only slightly larger 1/1.72" Sensor with 12 MP. Thus the the pixels of the C4000 are three times larger, whence the lens of C4000 can resolve the pixels much better than the lens of the G9. Howver, if you scale down to 4 MP your 12 MP G9 images with, say, Irfanview they should look significantly better than the C4000 pictures. 12 MP for such a small sensor is simply nonsense.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:24 PM   #3

Most printers have as effective resample algorithms as IrfanView. I suspect the differences may be in different in the default sharpening between the two cameras. You can use IrfanView to experiment with different sharpening levels and if you find you need to consistently raise the sharpening level then you can change it in camera.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 6:10 AM   #4

Thanks to both kassandro and ac.smith for their informative replies, I will have a go with their suggestions this weekend..
Kenko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:04 PM   #5

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Most printers have as effective resample algorithms as IrfanView. I suspect the differences may be in different in the default sharpening between the two cameras. You can use IrfanView to experiment with different sharpening levels and if you find you need to consistently raise the sharpening level then you can change it in camera.
Todays printers are usually GDI printers, where most of the work is down by the PC through the printer driver. In particular, reiszing is really down on the PC. Thus downsizing with Irfanview shouldn't be advantageous here. However, I thought that Kenko99 meant the image quality on the screen. If the G9 has inferior image quality with respect to the Olympus C 4000, if you print with the same size, then there must be something wrong with Kenko99's G9. The best thing is to upload one or more full size images to a free image host and post the links here, such that we can inspect the pictures.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:13 PM   #6

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
The best thing is to upload one or more full size images to a free image host and post the links here, such that we can inspect the pictures.
True.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote