Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:56 PM   #1

The Canon TX 1 has been around about a year now but you seldom hear or read anything about it, pro or con.

In general, the professional reviews on the camera are ho hum with most pointing out things they'd like to see improved. User reviews, on the other hand, are mostly very favorable. It seems the battery life, file size, etc don't much bother actual users.

The mystery to me is why these cameras are so hard to find in camera stores, Circuit City etc. Everyone sells them online but it's hard to find one to handle.

Do any of you use this camera? How does it compare to other hybrids you have used?

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:29 PM   #2

I agree.

I've never seen a Canon TX1 in any local store.

But I suspect the reason it's not more widely available has to do with the MJPEG (instead of H.264/MPEG-4) compression, which looks pretty good, but consumes so much space on the memory card, it makes it necessary to change cards much more often.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:55 PM   #3

I agree on the memory gobbling of the TX 1. Interestingly, I use a Sanyo CG65 with the H.265 codec and I also use a Canon A710 with the same codec as the Tx 1. Although the Canon gobbles the memory, the videos are somewhat clearer than with the Sanyo. Memory has gotten so cheap that I can live with any codec that gives me the size camera I want and a good image.

Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:03 PM   #4

The Canon is about the only pocket HD camera offered around the sticks here. People run it down, and if it did not have noise, handling, and possibly some filming time constraints it would be quite OK because of of that 35mb/s. Test it with movement, bandwidth matters. I hope the next model does 50mb/s h264 Intra, wavelet, or the new Jpeg format at 720p50 (forget 60).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5

I tried the TX1 and I would say, for me, it had 3 major problems:

1) tiny monitor

2) large file size

3) ergonomics

This last being the biggest problem for me. I just couldn't hold it comfortably - I have fairly long fingers and didn't find a good place to put them. The placement of the the shutter release buttonsI found especially awkward. If Canon had laid it out more like the Sanyos I would probably prefer the TX1 in spite of the other two problems.

I think the output, both video and stills, is decent considering the size of the camera and the optical IS makes a big difference. The problem for me was that this difference was often offset by my discomfort holding it, since this led to a less steady hand.

Anyway, if these problems don't bother you it's probably a good choice as a pocket hybrid - but I'd recommend handling it before you commit to buying.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:26 PM   #6

Troc,...I agree that the ergonomics can be a deal breaker. Trying to find one of these in So Cal is quite a challenge. After many phone calls, I found two. The dealer would not open them. As he said,...."If I opened them, nobody would buy them". Okay,....

As for the file size, that can be worked around. Likewise, the short battery life. I'm also concerned about the tiny display, though. I prefer optical viewfinders but have just about decided they are the first thing to leave off when one is building a pocket camera.

I have a CG65 which I'm happy with but I really would like longer zoom in a similar sized camera. The long zoom in a small camera is much more important to me than the HD feature. In fact, my CG65 videos look just as good on an HD TV as HD videos do from a Sanyo HD 700.

I guess I'll just keep hunting for a TX 1 to handle. Who knows, if I hold out long enough the TX 2 might show up.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:05 AM   #7

I even have problems holding the Sanyo HD1000, this sucker is tiny. If you were into DIY rigs (and it did not have the noise problems) you could mount it, but I guess you want pocket only. I forget, does the TXI have control conducive to an camera glove being used with it to make it more handy, or does it have any wired/less remote?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:59 AM   #8

I have one and love it because:
  1. Small size & solid build - I carry this everywhere[/*]
  2. 1280x768 HD video - great results due to image stabilisation and low compression artifacts (most every frame is good enough to be used as is unlike when using higher compression).[/*]
  3. picture quality is good[/*]
  4. 10x zoom
[/*]
The things it is not good at:
  1. Fat fingers - many peopledislike the ergonomics when they try it. I find it comfortable to use (perhaps just takes time to learnnaturalways to hold it - even though I am left handed).[/*]
  2. Low light photos - like most small point&shoots it has a small sensor and lens.[/*]
  3. Short video - (not a problem for me since normally I only want short high quality clips!).[/*]
  4. Complaints of small screen -works finefor me and love the swivel (I now wouldn't buy a camera without a swivel).[/*]
onetimeonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:35 PM   #9

Onetime,

You might enjoy the forum that is for TX1 users. It's not extremely active but there's some good stuff from time to time.

http://forums.powershot-tx1.com