Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:58 PM   #1

After looking over the camera and manual I dont see anywhere that shows the right polarity. Unless there is some reason I cant use a universal power supply (it has a 7.5V setting).
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:58 AM   #2

Just make sure that the voltage and current ratings of the generic adapter are exactly the same (for voltage) and same or higher than (for current) as the Canon adapter.

It is important also that you are getting "clean" DC (regulated DC) from the adapter.

The last think you want to do is to fry your electronics with a bad adapter.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:39 PM   #3

Yeah I was going to use my universal adapter to which 7.5V was an option. But I have since used it for another project that requires its permanent use so I will more than likely not worry about a DC adapter for my S5. I'll just have to keep my batteries charged, its just a pain when I come in from a trip and the batteries are dead and I can't download the pics (well unless I have my laptop handy which will read the SDHC card).

I'd still like to find out what the polarity is for future reference just in case.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:32 PM   #4

mInDtrIP wrote:
Quote:
its just a pain when I come in from a trip and the batteries are dead and I can't download the pics
Very true. However, with so many quick chargers these days - I saw one that claims to charge in 15 mins. - you might want to invest in one instead of an adaptor and have the option of bringing this quick charger on your trips.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:04 AM   #5

15 minutes! Thats too long... I demand instant gratification :G.

LOL just kidding. Thats cool, but I actually have two 4xAA charges already so unless one dies I thinkthey will suffice. 5 minutes of charge should be plenty just to transfer pics anyway, even on my 1-hr chargers. I think getting an SDHC reader for the computer would suffice as well, but I do like just plugging it in and auto downloaded everything for me. Did I mention I am very lazy? lol