Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:35 PM   #1

I just purchased a Canon A720 and the OVF is horrible! You can only get a vague idea of what you're shooting because the view is so distorted. Is it supposed to be like this? My wife has an A560 and the OVF is great, did they just cheapen the OVF or did I get a dud?
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:31 PM   #2

I have the same camera and I personally never use the OVF, because it does distort it like you said and you can't see what your photo will come out looking like.
trevor3999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:21 PM   #3

I have been very disappointed by the quality of the optical viewfinder of the A720IS: I must move back the eye in order to see a sharp image, and then I can see only a part of the field.

But so far using this OVF has not been necessary for me:
  • I have not been in the situation of using the LCD screen under strong light[/*]
  • with image stabilisation it is not necessary to hold the camera firmly against the forehead when using a low shutter speed.[/*]
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:39 PM   #4

I'm glad this came up. I was looking at the OVF as a positive for the 720is, and it's good to know it's actually a negative.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:59 PM   #5

leaftye wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad this came up. I was looking at the OVF as a positive for the 720is, and it's good to know it's actually a negative.
I find the viewfinder to be a positive on my Canon A720IS. It's not great, but it's better than using the LCD on a bright sunny day.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:06 PM   #6

Well, I guess it's really only good for framing when the LCD washes out, but it's better than nothing. Aside from that the camera itself is excellent though. Full featured, low price, excellent IQ. :|
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 2:47 PM   #7

Did anyone find anything to do to improve the OVF?

I was looking at the A720IS and like everything about it except the out of focus image in the OVF. Since I am coming from many years of film photography, I use the viewfinder in preference to the LCD screen. Hence, without a 'fix', this will be a deal breaker
hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:22 PM   #8

I don't know that there is anything you can do to improve the OVF. The OVF's are fairly limited on most P&S digicams (as they were on most p&s film cameras). I use a DSLR 90% of the time, but when I do use my p&s camera's, I typically don't bother with the OVF. I agree that it's not great, but the 720 is a great camera, and the OVf is useful in really bright light. Otherwise, I think you'll adjust pretty quickly to using the Lcd.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:45 PM   #9

I don't find the image quality on the OVF on my A720 to be that terrible, though I prefer to shoot with the LCD. To me the OVF is a backup, to be used only when the sun is so bright that I can't see the LCD. I find the OVF useful at those times, though I wouldn't use it on a regular basis.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:49 AM   #10

I head you about it being a 'back-up'. But, I don't like compsing photographs using the LCD. I find the camera holding position with LCD compsition to be awkward and more prone to 'shake'. Holding it against my face while looking through the OVF adds stability and makes the camera more of an extension of my eye, letting my more naturally take pictures of where I am looking. At least, thats my personal expereince.

I wear glasses with progessive focus. Whether that makes the situation worse I am not sure. But, looking through the OVF, everything is out of focus anmd distorted. Since this doesn't happen with the OVF on other camers, I assume that it must be something 'wrong' with the OVF for the A720. Strange that a company with Canon's experience and reputation in optics couldn't make an OVF which would be in focus (or, even better, had diopter adjustments).

hummel is offline   Reply With Quote