See our Breaking news page for details:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...l#canon_012408

Here are links to some of the press releases:

Powershot A590 IS, A580, and A470.

Powershot SD1100 IS.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:10 PM   #2

The SD1100 looks like a real step-up from the SD1000, due to its OIS.

However, the A580 and A590IS look to be practically the same cameras as the ones they are replacing, the A560 and A570IS. They even use the same DIGIC III processor. Why did Canon bother?

The A470 uses the DIGIC III and has a better LCD than the A460, but it loses the optical viewfinder and the optical zoom is lower. I don't see the A470 as an improvement at all.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:48 PM   #3

Personally, I was hoping for an upgrade to the TX 1 or the inclusion of optical zoom during video in one of their small cameras. Right now my go to carry around camera is an A710 which takes great video but does not zoom during video and has no wind silencer or stereo sound. The S5 takes care of all those shortfalls, of course, and is great to have on camera outings,.......but is just a tad large for day to day usage as a combo camera/camcorder.

Maybe by the time the show is over, something new will be announced for those of us that love the hybrid cameras.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:51 PM   #4

Bumping this thread back up.......I recently bought a TX1 and it's a great camera with some limitations. What I'm really hoping for is a sub compact with HD, zoom during video,.......THAT HAS A VIEWFINDER!

Has anyone heard any rumors of new Canon releases. I love Canon but I wish they would put it all together in a single shirt pocket camera. Well, I can hope....can't I?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:28 PM   #5

Hi Jim,

How's things in Savannah. My son moved there last year and he loves it. Back to cameras. Do you know when Steve might take a first look at the new Canon 1100 IS? With the great price breaks on the 1000IS I'm wondering if I should hold out for the new one.

Thanks,

Sam
sreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:35 PM   #6
Administrator

Savannah is just fine. I'm from here originally, and my wife and I moved back here a few years ago. I'm glad your son likes it.

As for the Canon SD1100 IS, Steve usually doesn't announce models that are in the review que (although he does make exceptions from time to time). There are a lot of new camera models now. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote