Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 5, 2008, 4:04 AM   #1

Recently I have been getting into taking pictures using long shutter speeds. But its impossible in the daytime due to sunlight and even at night things like street lights make it tough(As anyone reading this topic already knows).. I'm looking for a Set/Kit of Neutral Density Filters which will assist me in taking 5-second-long pictures of cars driving by at night to 15-second-long pictures at the beach on a bright sunny day. I know I'll need to buy the Conversion Lens Adapter(LA-DC58F) for my A640, But I'm completely new to ND filters and any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

-Dan -/- Yensed
yensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:51 PM   #2

Here's a place that sells the LA-DC58F for $14.00...............

http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...FQYXswod13OEeA

Then it's just a matter of getting a few 58mm ND filters of various strengths and then play around with them. Here's a good introduction to ND filters:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...filter-ND.html

Brands like Tiffen, Hoya, B+W and others offer good stuff. Try to get a coated filter(s) at least -- or multi-coated if you feel like paying for it. There are even some variable ND filters that change strength as you turn a ring.

I don't know what the claims are in regards to using the LA-DC58F adapter with filters and vignetting with this camera. You might be able to stack a few filters with no problem at the widest zoom setting.....or not. Anyhow, it should be fun!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:10 PM   #3

I decided to buy an aluminum 52mm adapter from Here so I can use 52mm Filters. I also baught a Polarizer and a 0.6 ND Filter from a local place in town to start off with once I get the adapter. Though I can already tell I'll need at least a couple more ND filters.
yensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:30 PM   #4

Well, 52mm is a bit cheaper than 58mm.

You can use the polarizer with the ND for enhanced ND effect, but your probably right about needing a few more ND's.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote