Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:24 AM   #11

Rodfather, please let me know how you like your TX1. I will be ordering it soon (found it on the net for $249.00 USD!!!) and I welcome any info I can get my hands on. Thanks!
Take a Picture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:57 AM   #12

Well I guess I am a dissenter here. I have sent my TX1 for trade in, and I have purchased a Panasonic Lumix TZ5. I used my TX1 for aabout a year. The small LCD bothered me, but not enough to get rid of it.

The thing that pushed me over the edge is the low light performance on the HD video side ... it is terrible! I shot my wife in normal evening light, and she turned out looking a lot like Dracula .. (please no jokes!)....

The Pana is supposed to have much better low light performance. The only negative of the Panasonic is that when recording HD video, you only get Mono sound, whereas the TX1 recorded audio in stereo.
dblml320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:26 AM   #13

dblml320 wrote:
Quote:
Well I guess I am a dissenter here. I have sent my TX1 for trade in, and I have purchased a Panasonic Lumix TX5. I used my TX1 for aabout a year. The small LCD bothered me, but not enough to get rid of it.

The thing that pushed me over the edge is the low light performance on the HD video side ... it is terrible! I shot my wife in normal evening light, and she turned out looking a lot like Dracula .. (please no jokes!)....

The Pana is supposed to have much better low light performance. The only negative of the Panasonic is that when recording HD video, you only get Mono sound, whereas the TX1 recorded audio in stereo.
You might be interested in some very active discussions about the TX5 on dpreview forums, especially about the autofocus during video. It seems to boil down to the fact that during zoom, the autofocus hunts constantly. The other comments about the TZ5 are quite positive.

I'm with you on the small LCD of the TX1. It's sometimes difficult to use, even moreso when set in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Good luck with your TZ5, I hope it meets all your expectations. I wanted one myself but video and zoom video is so important to me that the autofocus thing is a fatal flaw unless they get it fixed.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:03 PM   #14

I will look for the TZ5 discussion. Yeah, I realize it is not the end all camera either. I really expect I will make another purchase in 18-24 months. I am hoping the point and shoots get better with HD video ... I would like one device. Not a camera, and a camcorder to do both.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:09 PM   #15

My last decent camera was a Panasonic TZ1. Great camera and was the smallest 10x zoom digicam at the time. Thing is, it's not pocketable so I didn't take it with me as much.
I'm sure the TZ5 is an excellent choice, but ya I'm sure it still has low audio quality since the TZ1's audio was recorded at a low bitrate along with the its mono mic.
The MEGA OIS is great for photos..

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:28 PM   #16

Theres lots of talk over on the dpreview Pany forum about the TZ5. From what I can gather, the autofocus is simply terrible when zooming during video. That's a bummer for me. Although I have the TX1 and love it, I also need small hybrid that can be operated with one hand and takes decent videos and stills. I thought the TZ5 would fill this bill but the autofocus problem is a deal breaker for me. It was sort of a compromise anyway since what I really want is a viewfinder equipped camera.

So, it's back to square one. Hopefully, Canon will have a new A series that zooms during video and maybe even has HD since it works so well in the TX1. If they don't have anything new, the A650 seems to be a decent choice as it has a viewfinder and the typical Canon strengths of OS, good video etc. I'd just live with the non zooming video,......

Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:38 PM   #17

Isn't the TX1 the only Canon camera that shoots HD video? I was suprised Canon did not introduce the TX2 this year .. Well .. I guess the year is still young.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 2:17 PM   #18

dblml320 wrote:
Quote:
Isn't the TX1 the only Canon camera that shoots HD video? I was suprised Canon did not introduce the TX2 this year .. Well .. I guess the year is still young.
I think the TX1 is the only compact Canon that does HD video. I think the reason that there is no TX2 is because the camera was not a great success. I had trouble finding one to handle in SO Calif. Most dealers had never heard of it.

Professional reviews were mixed to say the least. Lots of knocks on handling qualities (true), battery life (true), large file size (true), etc. On the other hand, actual users mostly love the camera despite it's limitations. Even the pros liked the build quality, HD video, OIS, and still quality.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 2:23 PM   #19

Well I guess as I mentioned earlier I owned one. The TX1 is a remarkable camera, I think the best thing to say about it is this: what is does well, it does very well .. in my case outside still image photography and video in good light were very good, but what it does bad, the LCD and low light photos and videos, it does very poor.

If I wanted to have multiple cameras I would have kept the TX1. As you suggest the build quality is quite good, but these days I want one device to do it all.

Since point and shoots are coming from all manufacturers with HD video and 16:9 shooting, I am sure Canon will introduce new cameras with these capabilities, and soon. I would have thought PMA would have been the time. When is the next photography exposition?
Old May 19, 2008, 4:25 AM   #20
kad

Just got the TX1. I was planning to buy the S5 IS but some how I got interested in TX1 because it is pocketable. Read lot of reviews, browsed lot of videos and stills before I bought this. The main advantage of this camera is that it is very small, but has good optical zoom and takes extremely good videos. As a camcorder the quality is amazing in good to medium lighting. Especially close up videos taken in HD mode is giving surprising results. In normal room lighting the videos are grainy but quality is good. The 10X zoom with the teleconverter of 1.5X and 1.9X is also very good. I tried lot of photos and videos with maximum zoom and you get good video and still quality. However still photos taken indoors are soft and colors are not vibrant and photos are pretty soft. Flash performance is not up to the mark. So I am planning to use my old Sony W5 cam for stills and TX1 for videos and outdoor shots. Another good feature is the super macro mode. With this mode I took some HDvideos of ants and I was astonished to see the results. Nice little camera.

kad is offline   Reply With Quote