Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:10 AM   #1

I just took delivery on my TX1 hybrid after nearly a year trying to decide between it and the S5 IS. I wanted a new camera for a late February trip to the National Elk Refuge in Wyoming. Frankly, I was leaning toward the S5 up until the last minute because of the great reviews, especially of the videos. The TX1, on the other hand, doesn't get especially good reviews from the pros. Users, however, tend to like it. The TX1 was bashed especially hard because of poor handling characteristics.

When crunch time came and I had to make a choice, I decided that since both cameras had about the same features, that I would choose based on size. I've learned long ago that I do not like to carry a camera bag around,....ever. On the other hand, when something fits in my shirt pocket, I nearly always have it available.

I've had the TX1 only a day and have only taken practice videos and stills with it. Nevertheless, I've formed some impressions. Although the HD videos didn't enter into my decision, I find them amazing on my HD TV and am afraid I'm hooked for good on HD. Stills are also excellent, just as good as on my Canon A720. The knocks on the TX1 of memory gobbling video files and short battery life were easily cured by a couple of extra batteries and 3 8gb SDHC cards.

I was worried about handling features since one of my uses is taking videos of my bird dogs when I'm quail hunting. That means one handed use since the other hand has a shotgun in it. I decided that the S5 wouldn't even be with me on a hunting trip so the TX1 was possibly better even for that. I will admit that one handed use will be a challenge but I think it will work. With two hands, this little unit is easy to operate, zoom etc, and is very steady. The IS is typical Canon, excellent.

Not sure why the TX1 was not more popular with consumers, probably a combination of price and intimidating professionl reviews. I can tell you candidly that I really like this camera and consider it a good value.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:11 PM   #2

Bumping my own thread back up in case there's any interest at all in the TX1. I'm finding this to be an amazing camera. HD video is outstanding and if you're willing to shoot regular 64x480 video you can increase the 10X zoom by either 1.5X or even 1.9X, pretty impressive zoom in this small package.

The TX1 is built like a little tank and everything is very high quality. The only problem I'm finding is that, despite excellent IS, one handed video is almost impossible if you plan to do any zooming. For one hand users, the Sanyos are definitely handier.

I love this camera. If it had an optical zoom, I'd consider it almost perfect.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:56 PM   #3

I had a similar dilemma about 6 months ago. I shoot events (mostly weddings) and I wanted to throw in a bit of "free video". I also wanted a decent point n shoot camera. I decided to go with the S5 because it has a lower street price andI gotexcellent feedback from other users. It's kind of big, not for shooting but for carrying around; it won't fit in the typical point n shoot camera bags. I can shoot one-handed with it. The image quality is very good and it can zoom and auto ISO during movies. The sound quality is excellet. Ireally like the fact that it has a hot shoe for flash.

I thought the TX1 has a 10xoptical zoom.

Bill

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:27 PM   #4

Bill,....I didn't say what I meant to say. Yes, the TX1 has 10X optical zoom and it can be increased by 1.5 or 1.9 if you choose 640x480 video format.

What I meant to say was, the TX1 would be almost perfect it it had an optical viewfinder. I'm not sure why most manufacturers have done away with that feature. It would seem to be a little extra that would help break the tie between similar cameras.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
Bumping my own thread back up in case there's any interest at all in the TX1. I'm finding this to be an amazing camera. HD video is outstanding and if you're willing to shoot regular 64x480 video you can increase the 10X zoom by either 1.5X or even 1.9X, pretty impressive zoom in this small package.

The TX1 is built like a little tank and everything is very high quality. The only problem I'm finding is that, despite excellent IS, one handed video is almost impossible if you plan to do any zooming. For one hand users, the Sanyos are definitely handier.

Hey Setter, I'm currently preparing to buy a TX1 for an upcoming trip to France & Poland(Normandy & Auschwitz -- me and my best friend are WWII buffs) and I was wondering which SDHC card you were using? If you're doing 720p video without a hitch, then your card must be fast enough so I'm curious about that since I haven't bought mine yet (I'm looking into a 16gb SDHC, probably Patriot since the value they offer can't be beat, and I read in many places that they were fast enough for the TX1).

I was pretty sure about buying the TX1 but now I'm hesitating between that and an Xacti HD-700... damn this used to be clear for me but after reading a lot on the Sanyo, I'm really undecided. All I know is that both products are very good, it's just hard to weigh the pros and cons according to my needs...

Thanks in advance for your input.
Take a Picture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:14 AM   #6

Take a Picture wrote:
Quote:
Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:

Hey Setter, I'm currently preparing to buy a TX1 for an upcoming trip to France & Poland (Normandy & Auschwitz -- me and my best friend are WWII buffs) and I was wondering which SDHC card you were using? If you're doing 720p video without a hitch, then your card must be fast enough so I'm curious about that since I haven't bought mine yet (I'm looking into a 16gb SDHC, probably Patriot since the value they offer can't be beat, and I read in many places that they were fast enough for the TX1).

I was pretty sure about buying the TX1 but now I'm hesitating between that and an Xacti HD-700... darn this used to be clear for me but after reading a lot on the Sanyo, I'm really undecided. All I know is that both products are very good, it's just hard to weigh the pros and cons according to my needs...

Thanks in advance for your input.
I have several 8GB SDHC cards, Transcend and Sankisk Extreme 111. I can't pass up a deal and bought several of the Sandisk when Adorama had them on sale. Not sure if that sale is still on but it made the price $33 each.

I had an Xacti 700 briefly. Amazon had them for $300. At first I loved it. It is very easy to handle, better by far than the TX1. The Sanyo is a true one handed camera. After just a few days I decided the image quality just wasn't very good and the HD video seemed a bit washed out. I went to the TX1 for the 10X zoom, build quality, and overall Canon image quality. I really like it but admit that the small 1.8 LCD is not easy to use on moving subjects. Although I thought I could manage, I've learned that I cannot use the TX1 with one hand. I love the camera, especially the HD video. The size is such that it will always be with me. The Sanyo is also very handy.

I may have gotten a dud with my Sanyo,.......lots of folks swear by it. You might like it.
I'm positive you would like the TX1,......
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:29 AM   #7

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have several 8GB SDHC cards, Transcend and Sankisk Extreme 111. I can't pass up a deal and bought several of the Sandisk when Adorama had them on sale. Not sure if that sale is still on but it made the price $33 each.

I had an Xacti 700 briefly. Amazon had them for $300. At first I loved it. It is very easy to handle, better by far than the TX1. The Sanyo is a true one handed camera. After just a few days I decided the image quality just wasn't very good and the HD video seemed a bit washed out. I went to the TX1 for the 10X zoom, build quality, and overall Canon image quality. I really like it but admit that the small 1.8 LCD is not easy to use on moving subjects. Although I thought I could manage, I've learned that I cannot use the TX1 with one hand. I love the camera, especially the HD video. The size is such that it will always be with me. The Sanyo is also very handy.

I may have gotten a dud with my Sanyo,.......lots of folks swear by it. You might like it.
I'm positive you would like the TX1,......

You know what makes me nuts about the TX1-Xacti HD-700 comparison? It's that I know for a fact that the Canon gives very satisfying results while I've seen contradicting evidence about the Sanyo. Some movies I've seen are impressive, others are bland, out of focus and jerky. I'm not expecting true 720p quality with either one, but I do expect quality. If the TX1 had the Sanyo`s LCD, this wouldn`t even be a discussion. But I`ll probably buy the TX1 anyway.

Thanks very much for your input!

PS: I would also love it if the TX1 used another format for its HD... Damn these movies will use a lot of space! The Sanyo is unbeatable in that aspect.

Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:07 AM   #8

I think you'll find that the Canon HD video clips, though memory gobblers, are a definite step up in quality overall from the Sanyo. You just need a couple of extra memory cards.

Another "weakness" in the Canon is battery life. It's just the price you pay for portability in these small cameras. I bought two Lenmars, and a charger that works in the car, from Amazon for $37. I'm glad I did.

The LCD is normally no problem. the only time I have trouble with it is when I'm trying to track my 6 year old grandson in a soccer game at about 7-10X zoom. The combination of high zoom and fast moving subjects is not ideal. Other than that, the LCD is fine.

One other thing I did not like about the Sanyo was the "zoom" at the widest angle. I found that on many shots that worked fine for me with other cameras, required me to back up to get the subject in the LCD. This was a major fault as I think back on it. The Canon is normal in this respect. If you buy a Sanyo, be sure to check out this view angle while you still have return privileges.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:14 AM   #9

Hey thanks a lot for everything. You`ve been quite helpful. Of course if I could print money, I`d just order both and decide after trying them for a couple of weeks each. But since I have to choose, I'll go with the TX1.

You've helped tipping the scale in its favor.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 1:32 AM   #10

I just ordered one and it should arrive in a few days. It was a tough choice between the TX1 and Sanyo Xacti's. Especially the HD1000.
Basically came down to portability. It had to be pocketable.
Also, I won't mind the nice photos, 10x zoom, and OIS.
I'll have an easier time editing since my aging desktop struggles decoding high def H.264.

Flash based HD cams are still maturing. It seems AVCHD is gaining a few Mbps each year. So going to wait it out on getting something that's a camcorder first, digicam second.. The HV10/HV100 is looking promising but I'm hoping all future HD cams will have 720P 60FPS.

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote