Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:29 AM   #1

I heard that there is the CHDK firmware for Digic 2 processors for Powershots,is there any for the newer Digic 3's?I want to get my S5 to shoot Raw (it would make it closer to perfection and a serious contender for a DSLR-with the live view,mobile lcd and hot-shoe for a low price,aside the huge zoom range for which you would need about 3 lens to achieve:blah: on a DSLR).
Has anyone tried this firmware?And if so,will there be a chance to revert to the factory settings should iti crash?
Thanks,Andrew!
gothmog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:49 PM   #2

I have the CHDK on both my S3 (Digic II) and my A720 IS (Digic III). I was on the CHDK site yesterday and it is still not out for the S5 but I read that it should be soon as they are working on it and want to get it right this time with all the features operating.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3

Nobody else?:O
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:21 AM   #4

I haven't tried the CHDK yet, but I read a lotabout it. It is loaded on to an SD card. It does not change the frimware on your camera.

So when you have that card in your camera, you can use the new CHDK features. When you remove that card your camera is back to its normal settings/menus.
outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:37 AM   #5

So i've heard,that it doesn't change the camera firmware,but has anyone tried this on the s5? The A series Powershots equipped with Digic 3 processors benefit from the CHDK firmware,shouldn't it work for S5 as well?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:29 PM   #6

You will just have to wait for it to be released for the S5. I doubt the S3 version would work on the S5 if that is what you are asking. I wouldn't try it either...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:10 PM   #7

I have just purchased the A720 IS and am very curious about the CHKD firmware, specifically about the live histogram, and the RAW capture. I went to the Wiki for more info, but seem to have run into a problem formatting a bootable SD card on a multiport card reader running Windows XP Pro.
How did you set up your A720, if you don't mind my asking.
Whereabouts in Southwest Ontario are you?
Regards, David

davadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:04 AM   #8

I hope that it will be a good topic for the S5 IS owners, ,but i am no longer one of those,moved up to Nikon D80 and pretty happy about that.Of course,it cost me double than the S5 but the images are three times better in low light/indoor,and you CAN use the ISO without fear of noise.OTOH,the S5 is very good in sunlight or bright light,and it benefits from P&S's huge DOF,making landscapes great.I don't regret a minute having owned an S5,if there will be a firmware to get it to shoot RAW(thus post-processing the noise easier),it'll be a bargain and will beat the crap out of the G series prosumer cameras.I shot very good images at night using the S5 w/o too much noise,posted them on flickr.
Best of luck,post the CHDK updates for the S5 owners,if there are any,pls!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:17 PM   #9

has anyone here seen this link. It looks like the firmware is available.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/S5IS#Firmware_versions

here's another link

http://grandag.nm.ru/hdk/autobuild/download.htm
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:31 PM   #10

But take a closer look won't you? The Canon S-5 has examples of both both firmware A and B. It is surely NOT a "one size fits all" situation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote