Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 15, 2003, 2:30 PM   #1

Default Teleconverters for G3/G5

My G5 is paid off, I've got some extra cash, and I'd like to buy a teleconverter soon. I have the 52mm Lensmate and a UV filter for protection. Now I need to choose a teleconverter so I can get in closer at baseball games and other scenariors.

Here is my list of considerations from most to least desirable:

Tiffen MegaPlus 2X
Canon TC-DC58N 1.75x
Kenko KNT-20 2X

I have checked the many web discussions and web comparisons but now I'm starting a new topic here. I like the Tiffen because it gives the most magnification. But it's not black so it will not match my setup. Probably not a major problem for me. The Canon does not have front threading for a UV filter. I've seen mixed reviews for the Kenko, and again, it's not black. In any case I will buy another Lensmate and any step up or down ring that the lens I choose requires. Your thoughts?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:35 AM   #2

The tiffen is suposed to be good, the canon is suposed to be beter. I am not really sure about that particular model kenko. It really sucks that the canons are not threaded. That was one of the factors that leed me to buy another lens instead of the canon. Even though it was more expensive, I do not think the image quality is as good.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:44 AM   #3

Richardh, if I read you right, you are saying that although the Canon lens is considered to be better than the other lenses, you find your lens to be better than the Canon? Which lens to you have?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:34 PM   #4

I may not have worded that clearlly. What I meant to imply is that even though the lens is more expensive than the canon, the canon lens is still beter. The lens I got was not as good as the canon. It is usable but suffers from bad purple fringing in daylight. Fyi it is a pheonix 62mm 2x. The canon is very good quality.
You kind of seem like you might be interested in lenses beter than the canon at higher prices. If you want beter, you may want to consider some of the olympus lenses. They are suposed to be some of the best but they are more pricey than the canon lens. I don't have an olympus telephoto but I have an olympus wide angle and the image quality is exelent. The telephotos are suposed to be as good. The wide angle I have retails for 180$ for a 0.8x lens though (ouch). I got it used a little cheaper.
These shots are in diffrent resolutions as they were uploaded for another purpose, but you can still tell, no purple fringing, no barrel distortion, and the image is pretty clear. The first two are just the camera and the third is with the olympus lens. This is on an a70, not a g series by the way.
http://www.pbase.com/richardh/wide
Come to think of it, the canon tc-dc58n is 1.7x and so is the olympus tcon-17 (suposed to a very good lens). I think it is pretty close in price. I was kind of thinking of some of the higher magnification olympus lenses when I think that they are expensive. Do a search here or on some of the other forums on tcon-17. It has been discussed several times.
Fyi, I have been leed to believe that sony and nikon make lenses that may work that are suposed to be beter but are in the 200-400$ range. I am not certain on that though. It was a bit more than I cared to spend so I really didn't look into it.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:43 PM   #5

One other option to consider is the canon tc-dc52. It is a 52mm 2.4x teleconverter designed for the a series. It is only about 100$. Based on what people using the a series have said, it gives beter performance than the tiffen. I have no idea if it will work without vinyetting on the g series though. In fact, that question has been brought up on other forums several times and nobody seems to know. About all you could do is find a camera store that has one and see if they will let you screw it on and try it. If you do, let me know if it vinyettes on the g series as there are others that would like to know too.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 2:36 PM   #6

Richardh, thanks for all the good information. Does the Olympus TCON-17 have front threads for attaching a filter?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B
Richardh, thanks for all the good information. Does the Olympus TCON-17 have front threads for attaching a filter?
Unfortunatlly it does not. They just don't want to make it easy on us, do they. You may be able to mount some filter types before the lens though I am not sure if this would cause vinyetting on the canon or the olympus. One thing I have actually considered if I get a canon converter is if I can find a sutable size step ring, I have thought about carfully epoxying it in place to provide filter threads (if I could find a step ring that fit snug inside the extention at the front of the lens). I would think filters would be plenty light enough to work with this. Some might not consider this a nice thing to do to an expensive lens but for me it is a matter of function.
By the way, here is a link that gives sample pics for the tiffen, the canon and the olympus.
http://kazutoku.cside21.com/G1andG2/telewide_eng.htm
The wcon-08 listed here is the wide converter I have and the image quality is exelent.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 4:31 PM   #8

Does the Canon TC-DC58N 1.75x come with a lens cap? How does it stay on?
Old Sep 22, 2003, 2:39 AM   #9

I don't know for sure on the lens cap but they usally (most brands) come with slipon lens caps. The are semi soft plastic that snuglly fit over the outside of the lens.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:09 AM   #10

I really appreciate this forum, and just ordered the Canon teleconverter for my G3. My understanding is that with the teleconverter you can attach most filters behind the lens without vignetting, though thicker filters such as some polarizers may vignette.

Now for my question, is it safe to zoom with the teleconverter attached, and if so, is the quality still decent? I don't plan on on zooming back to the wide range, but instead wold like the ability to play in the 135-240mm range (35mm equivalent).

Andrew
asiafish is offline   Reply With Quote