Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:50 PM   #1

Canon S5IS: I have found out "here" that this camera is made in both countries. Personally, I would much rather hae one made in Japan. How do I go about finding a model made in Japan.
I have already asked an online camera dealer this question, his answer was they don't promise which one I would get if I purchased from them!
So what do I do?

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:53 PM   #2

I don't see my post, why?
Changeling

Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:57 PM   #3

Well, over 100 people have viewed the post so there must be some interest, but no one seems to want to answer.
In whitch direction am I supposed to consider this, negative or positiove , or is no responses the actual answer?
Obviously there are opinions, but a lack of honesty/guts. Sorry to ask such a rediculous question, LOL!

Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:00 PM   #4

I don't think there's any lack of guts or honesty on this forum and suspect your posts may have offended some people who are used to the laid back style this forum has.

I have seen a similar question on other forums but don't recall a specific answer. There were comments, though, that those cameras made in China had the same quality as those made in Japan.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:15 PM   #5

Wow, you are a strange one. What does not having an answer to your question have to do with guts or honesty? In order to answer your question,someone here has to haveboth a Japanese and a Chinese S5is which I doubt anyone really has. So it's going to be difficult to give you a solid answer. Thus the lack of answers. I certainly am not going to get into a "Japanese products are better than Chinese ones" argument...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:17 PM   #6

See, this as the type of thing that makes me feel like a strange one. I would rather look at this as being causcious sinse so much crap is coming from there to hear! You can take it any way you want! This is just one link, there are lots, try looking!
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphoto...l-or-fake.html

To answere you question, I think It would have been appropriate for a site dealing in information in cameras to make things like this aware to people asking questions, instead of making remarks directed at me as being strange.
i don't feel I am strange for trying to get to the truth. However you seem to see the truth as being, reverse the question and put the idea of ignorance on me instead of aproaching the question like an honest person with some GUTS!. Have a nice day!

Quote:
Wow, you are a strange one. What does not having an answer to your question have to do with guts or honesty? In order to answer your question,someone here has to haveboth a Japanese and a Chinese S5is which I doubt anyone really has. So it's going to be difficult to give you a solid answer. Thus the lack of answers. I certainly am not going to get into a "Japanese products are better than Chinese ones" argument...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:13 AM   #7

This is a tough question to answer, unless, as Michi says, you find someone who has 2 of the same model, one made in Japan and the other in China.

This was the subject of a similar discussion in another forum I read and no satisfactory answer was arrived at.

Suffice it to say that so long as you get the geniune product - not some knock off - then the quality should not be an issue because Canon will be looking out for the quality of the products leaving its factories - in Japan, China or Timbuktu for that matter.

So get your camera at the best price possible, regardless of where its made. Just ensure you have warranty covered. If ever you have a problem, you can always send it back in.

Or get it from a store that allows returns if unsatisfied.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:40 AM   #8

I think Canon may be treatingits products in a manner similar to the way some Japanese automakers have done in the past by makingthe early versions ofnew models in Japan before allowingthem to be madein one of their USA factories. Volkwagonused to do the same thing for the models that eventually were made totally in Mexico. Once they've established a quality baselinethe manufactoring process will shift to the most cost effective plants.So many of the newer S5 IS will probably be madeinChina. Nikon also has many models that are made in other countries. I have a S5 IS that was made in Japan.I have no way of telling if it is as good as a Chinese version, not even if I had a made in China version available for comparison.There would have to be a major quality control issuefor anyone other than a professional testing professional to be able to tell in the short term.

Gutless Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:30 AM   #9

Changeling wrote:
Quote:
See, this as the type of thing that makes me feel like a strange one. I would rather look at this as being causcious sinse so much crap is coming from there to hear! You can take it any way you want! This is just one link, there are lots, try looking!
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphoto...l-or-fake.html

To answere you question, I think It would have been appropriate for a site dealing in information in cameras to make things like this aware to people asking questions, instead of making remarks directed at me as being strange.
i don't feel I am strange for trying to get to the truth. However you seem to see the truth as being, reverse the question and put the idea of ignorance on me instead of aproaching the question like an honest person with some GUTS!. Have a nice day!

Quote:
Don't call people in this forum dishonest or gutless and I may not call you a strange one. Come on, use some common sense...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:31 AM   #10

I'm wondering if English is not your native language. It it isn't that sort of explains the gutless and lack of honesty comments.

If English is something you understand, your definitions of those terms are certainly different from mine,.......or those of anyone else I know. Hey, this is about cameras and having fun with them. Attacking fellow forum members as gutless and lacking honesty is not becoming.

About knowing which is best Canon between Chinese and Japanese,.......well, I actually know the answer but will not reveal it unless someone waterboards me.

Yours in gutlessness,......Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote