Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 25, 2002, 1:41 PM   #1

Default Is the Canon A40 my best bet?

I'm going on a trip to Australia for 8 months. I'm on a budget.

I need a digital camera. Is the A40 my best bet? I already have a lot of CF memory.

I may never use the "manual" settings however.

Someone has offered me a choice of a A40, S200 at the same price, and a s330 for $100 extra.

What do you think?

[Edited on 7-25-2002 by Saint]
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2002, 1:21 PM   #2

From the photos I've seen posted on the Web, a model you haven't mentioned seemed to "blow away" the others...it's the S30. Here in Canada it is quite a bit more expensive ($699 vs $389 CDN). It seems to have all the features of the A40 and much better picture quality (not just that it's 3MP). The A40 seems to have problems at the boundaries of dark/light extremes (trees limbs against sky, light sources:neons etc, white objects in dark surroundings:white wicker chair, white clothing, etc). These dark/light boundaries seem out of focus (blurred/smeared). Many photos seem to be unsharp at the edges: I'm suspecting those taken at maximum aperture (f/2.8). There also seem to be quality control problems: some A40's have poor edge to edge sharpness, others are fine (not related to the Canon "adjustment" patch).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 6:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorRon
From the photos I've seen posted on the Web, a model you haven't mentioned seemed to "blow away" the others...it's the S30. Here in Canada it is quite a bit more expensive ($699 vs $389 CDN). It seems to have all the features of the A40 and much better picture quality (not just that it's 3MP). The A40 seems to have problems at the boundaries of dark/light extremes (trees limbs against sky, light sources:neons etc, white objects in dark surroundings:white wicker chair, white clothing, etc). These dark/light boundaries seem out of focus (blurred/smeared). Many photos seem to be unsharp at the edges: I'm suspecting those taken at maximum aperture (f/2.8). There also seem to be quality control problems: some A40's have poor edge to edge sharpness, others are fine (not related to the Canon "adjustment" patch).
current prices - S30 is $145 more than A40. do you think the difference in quality is worth the money?
cmanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:53 PM   #4

You'll have to check it out, but I think the S30 does not take the optional lenses the A40 does. You have to decide if the extra megapixel and the difference in color rendition of the S30 compared to the A40 is important to you. Also the S30 is much smaller physically. You would have to handle each to see which suits you best. The A40 does color similar to Olympus; the S30 does color similar to Fuji.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote