Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:07 AM   #1

I purchasedthe S5 & 4 MB SD cardfor my wife and wanted to know what the "must have" acessories I should get for the camera. We are no experts so I thought for now getting a bag, quick charger for batteries, and some sort of lens protecter or shield - Anything else ? Any suggestions for the brands / model for the stuff I should get or best place to buy?Thanks !!

billtkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:21 AM   #2

Go to lensmateonline.com and check out their adapters. I have one on my S5 and had one on my old S1. Check out their UV lens for protection and get rid of the lens cap that came with the camera. It will drive you nuts. As far as bags go, from what I've read, I bought a cheap inconspicuous bag, That way you might keep the camera a while, before someone borrows it?
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:40 PM   #3

Ok, I went onto the website you mention and I guess all I need is a UV lens to protect my camera's lens and a cheap bag? I saw they have a polarized one as well. Should I just get that one or do I use each on different type of shots ? I do not know too much about this but want to make sure I have at least what I need to protect the camera - thanks
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:55 PM   #4

i use the adapter and the uv filter for lens protection. on my S3
wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:12 PM   #5

Thanks. Any reason to get the polarized lenstoo? I will shoot outdoor shots at some point but not sure if I need to add that . If I do need both the UV and polarized lens should I get two adapters or is it pretty easy to swap out ? They also suggested a lens shield as well - make sense ? thanks
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:08 AM   #6

billtkat wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I went onto the website you mention and I guess all I need is a UV lens to protect my camera's lens and a cheap bag?
Don't forget to also order the lens adaptor - 52mm or 58mm - then order the corresponding filter lens - 52mm or 58mm. The UV filter will not attach directly to the camera lens. You need the adaptor for this.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:26 PM   #7

Ok I can get the adapter and UV lens but what about a polarized lens ? Is this somethingI should useon bright days or is it really not that important ? If it is a recommended item should I get 2 adapters and just swap them or is it easy just to take off one lens and put on the other ? thanks
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:45 PM   #8

if you're at the beach like I try to do, you will need a circular polarizer for the bright sunny days. If you got the money and the space, it's easier to unclip the adapter, but I just screw off one filter/lens to the next. Some have said buy a cheap camera bag too, so you don't advertise a camera in the bag. I got a big sling bag at walmart, but I'm running out of room.:X
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:49 AM   #9

billtkat,

I'm also new to my S5, but I think you only need to buy one adaptor for both UV and polarizer.

bayoubooger,

My question is, if I decide to buy a UV filter do I also have to buy the Lensmate Lens Cap to protect the front lens??
Tentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 2:42 PM   #10

Do you think purchasing this kit is worthwhile? I'll be shooting children's sports/activities indoors and out, a little bit of travel scenery, and your basic holiday-get togethers.

Thank you for your advice.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNACKD56\
ChristyKay1 is offline   Reply With Quote