Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:36 AM   #11

the only thing i did to them is to resize the so i could put them in here. if i didnt they would be to big. there straight from the camera.

#1 1/125
F3.5
ISO Auto
full zoom

#2 1/100
F3.5
ISO Auto
49 MM 3/4 zoom
#3 1/400
F3.4
ISO Auto
48mm about 3/4 zoom

this duck is the same straight out of the camera. its not cropped because i was close to him just resized to post here
1/100 F3.5 ISO Auto 51.8mm zoom

wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:02 PM   #12

make sure that when your zooming in dont go all the way to digital zoom. that could be giving you a little blur too. just use optical zoom. i dont use digital zoom un less i have a tripod
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:38 AM   #13

wilson44512 wrote:
Quote:
make sure that when your zooming in dont go all the way to digital zoom. that could be giving you a little blur too. just use optical zoom. i dont use digital zoom un less i have a tripod
Dont worry, I've never used digital zoom in my life.

If I too 'resize my pics to put them on here' they would look much better quality (but much smaller) so one cannot compare them with mine. Take em full size and crop them around the subject to 800*600, do no touching up, and post em here, then we can compare.

mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:51 AM   #14

i understand what your saying. but every pic aint going to turn out perfect. thats why they make photo editers. even people with the best SLR's dont always get the perfect picture. even they use editers to make there pic look better. they would take 100 pictures and only save a few. when i first got my S3 i wasnt at first taking good picture. and then i started messing with the settings. reading forums that have people use canons. and i ask them how they took that pic or what setting there using.. now if every single picture is turning out bad i would try to mess with the setting to see what happens. does it still have a warrenty? if so maybe you could take it back. and get another. i did how you said. and just cropped this to 800x600 and it dont look to bad. this is it

Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:28 PM   #15

I shoot the S5 (about 5,000 frames so far) and the S2 before that so maybe I can help a bit.

As a somewhat simpler suggestion I think one of 2 things is happening here.

(1) Your AF is locking on to the branches in the foreground, happens all the time and not much to be done if you were out at 72mm; and/or

(2) You're missing the S series aperture sweet spot of 5.0 - 5.6. Try some of these shots in Av set at 5.6 and see if that helps.

Otherwise, you may just be topping out the sensor. I actually wish they had left the S5 at 6MP.

Good luck.

JG
JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:16 AM   #16

wilson44512 wrote:
Quote:
i understand what your saying. but every pic aint going to turn out perfect. thats why they make photo editers.
Wilson, yes, I relaize this, that is whyI called these pics my best pics of birds so far, not the worse pics. I understand you dont always get perfect pics. The problem is I am having trouble getting a single one up to my expectations. And most are all about the same.

JohnGaltNY wrote:
Quote:
I shoot the S5 (about 5,000 frames so far) and the S2 before that so maybe I can help a bit.

As a somewhat simpler suggestion I think one of 2 things is happening here.

(1) Your AF is locking on to the branches in the foreground, happens all the time and not much to be done if you were out at 72mm; and/or

(2) You're missing the S series aperture sweet spot of 5.0 - 5.6. Try some of these shots in Av set at 5.6 and see if that helps.

Otherwise, you may just be topping out the sensor. I actually wish they had left the S5 at 6MP.

Good luck.

JG
John,I was not aware of the aperture sweet spot of 5.0-5.6. I will try to use this next chance I get to see if it makes a difference.

The AF might be off due to branches and full zoom, but explain the lack of detail in the pic of my son. And although the bird pics were cropped so you dont see lots of branches (at least the chickadee) you can see in a less cropped pic that the branches infront and behind are out of focus, and the area around the bird appears to be in focus the best.

Yes, the camera I am sure is under warranty, just not sure if this is enough for a warranty claim... IDK. I love all the features of the camera but so far the quality doesnt seem any better than my S1.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:23 PM   #17

this is the sweet spot from those who know?

The 8-megapixel Canon S5 IS is sharpest at ISO 80, f/4.0, and a focal length of 16.8mm
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:05 PM   #18

bayoubooger wrote:
Quote:
this is the sweet spot from those who know?

The 8-megapixel Canon S5 IS is sharpest at ISO 80, f/4.0, and a focal length of 16.8mm
Yes, aperture 5.6 is probably already too much. Usually these cameras show their best performance, when they are wide open.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:51 AM   #19

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
Yes, aperture 5.6 is probably already too much. Usually these cameras show their best performance, when they are wide open.
Hmmm, so then there isnt a sweet spot? Thats doesnt help explain my photos though, the camera was wide open (well as far open as it will go at full zoom, etc.).

I have done a lot of macro work with it so far, and have taken pics with the aperture from full open to full closed, and the quality doesnt seem to differ too much, just the DOF.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:27 AM   #20

mInDtrIP wrote:
Quote:
kassandro wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm, so then there isnt a sweet spot? Thats doesnt help explain my photos though, the camera was wide open (well as far open as it will go at full zoom, etc.).

I have done a lot of macro work with it so far, and have taken pics with the aperture from full open to full closed, and the quality doesnt seem to differ too much, just the DOF.
At a normal distance cams like the S5 usually perform best when the aperture is wide open. However, the situation is different at a very close distance, especially when you use the wide angle macro mode. In this situation it is a good idea to stop down, to, at least, 5.6 or even 6.3. You also have a better DOF then, which is very nice in macro mode.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote