Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:17 AM   #1

Ok, I've had the S5 IS since christmas and so far I am thrilled with the features of the camera but dissapointed with the quality. I was prepared to get an XTi, I got the S5 to save a little dough since it had 'nearly' as good of quality, and could take filters, flash, etc.

Now I dont know a way I can actually 'test' it, but so far most all my pics seem either slightly out of focus and 'soft'. I cant get the fine detail that I demand from the camera. I dont know, maybe I am just expecting too much out of a point and shoot, if so I'm going to sell it and get an XTi.

Here are a few pictures for example of what I am dissapointed with. The bird pics are the best ones of about 30 pics I took, and unfortunately its a bad time of year for taking bird pics. But I was able to get some decent pics, it just seems like its not nearly as sharp as it should be. I am at full zoom, as these guys were not all that close. I expect to see some better detail in the feathers.

All these photos are full res crops, no shrinking, no other post processing editing. Shot with the Canon UV1 filter. EXIF data is still in the pics I think, I dont have a way of getting the info right now (at work).

Here is a closer subject, my son. At a distance of around 10-15' I think, and the zoom I forget but closer to wide:

Do you see the lack of detail in the hair?

Is it possible I got a lemon? (BTW it is a China model). Perhaps a warranty claim?

Is there a better way to test it out? Or am I just expecting to much?
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:43 AM   #2

There appears to be a loss of fine detail. This does occur on the S-5 when the ISO is set to greater than ISO 200. You might try a lower ISO setting.

Sarah Joyce (in New Zealand again)
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:01 AM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
There appears to be a loss of fine detail. This does occur on the S-5 when the ISO is set to greater than ISO 200. You might try a lower ISO setting.

Sarah Joyce (in New Zealand again)
Unless I had it accidentaly in a different setting (in low light I sometimes bump it up ~200), I always use 80.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:06 PM   #4

If you have kept the ISO sett at 200 and below to avoid noise reduction smearing in the firmware processing, then I would begin to suspect the focusing mechanism in the camera. I would surely have Canon do a check on it. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce (in New Zealand today)
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 4:53 PM   #5

what pixel's settings are you using?? and the compression settings? do you have the IS on? are them full zoom. have you tried a tripod? some times you will need to do some processing. to make them look a little better
wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:22 PM   #6

The above crops are good. All ultrazooms loose some resolution towards the tele end and the S5 is no exception. You also should not forget that the S5 uses a very small 1/2.5" sensor and 8 MP is simply to much for such a small sensor. No camera can really resolve such small pixels. If you downsize to, say, 5 MP pixel peeping will be more fun. Because of the very good image stabiliser you should use ISO 80 most of the time.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:50 PM   #7

Hey folks, these are 100% crops. Instead of asking about the settings read the EXIF, it's there.

#1: f/4, 1/800, ISO 80, FL 71.7, spot meter, superfine, sharpness etc. default.

#2:Same except FL 72.0

#3: Same

#4: Same except FL 11.3

Other than #1 in which the AF may be very slightly off because of the multitude of branch (probably not noticeable in an 8x10) the rest are pretty much as good as any super-zoom and can bring up a little more detail with some very gentle sharpening.

For comparisonhere's a 100% crop of one of Steve's S5 samples and I'll follow with an FZ18 sample.

Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:51 PM   #8

FZ18
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:00 AM   #9

i would think that the S5 with 8mp would take better picturee then the S3 with only 6mp. i have a S3 and it takes great pictures. here are some i took and there cropped

wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 2:49 AM   #10

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Hey folks, these are 100% crops. Instead of asking about the settings read the EXIF, it's there.

#1: f/4, 1/800, ISO 80, FL 71.7, spot meter, superfine, sharpness etc. default.

#2:Same except FL 72.0

#3: Same

#4: Same except FL 11.3

Other than #1 in which the AF may be very slightly off because of the multitude of branch (probably not noticeable in an 8x10) the rest are pretty much as good as any super-zoom and can bring up a little more detail with some very gentle sharpening.

For comparisonhere's a 100% crop of one of Steve's S5 samples and I'll follow with an FZ18 sample.

Ahh, now were talking! Sorry about not posting the EXIF data, it would have saved some confusion, but I have been working long nightshifts lately and havent even sat in front of my home computer since I threw them on my webserver.

So it sounds then that under the circumstances, being at full tele, those bird pics are as good as one can expect for a full res crop and no touching up (yet). I know gettingcloser to the subject might produce better results, but thatwas not possible for the above shots. Except for my son, that is fairly close,so not sure there unless the focus was off.

I tripod was not used, but would any difference have been made at such high shutter speeds?

I understand that it would be probably fine for smaller prints but that is below my expectations. I deal mostly with pics online (I am an avid poster on well over a dozen various forums) andI tend to want the extra 'zoom' a full res crop provides.Apparent detail might be better if I shrunk them down, but I like it croped usually around just the subject, and its not all that big to start with (I know, if i was closer... or larger birds...).

wilson44512 wrote:
Quote:
i would think that the S5 with 8mp would take better picturee then the S3 with only 6mp. i have a S3 and it takes great pictures. here are some i took and there cropped

Are we comparing apples to apples here, are those untouched full resolution crops (no shrinking, etc.)? Its either that or you were very zoomed out, look how much larger my tiny chickadee is compared to your much larger blue jay... I have some pics of some ducks up close from my 3.2MP S1 that are better than those, but they are shrunk considerably. If those are full res crops then I apologize, they are very good quality.