Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:05 AM   #11

kjknapman wrote:
Quote:
All of the S-series i.e. S1IS, S2IS, S3IS, S5IS allow you to use optical zoom during video capture, apparently due to the ultrasonic zoom which minimises the noise of the zoom mechanism. Alot of the other models use this reason - the fact that the zoom is too noisy - as to why you cannot use it on those models. i expect that the G-range also use ultrasonic zoom so also allow use of the optical zoom during video capture. Even if the zoom does make a niose I would rather have the option of using it and putting up with the noise than not being able to use it at all.
Yeah, I can zoom even with my old S1. I have no idea why they would completely disable zooming just because they think its noisey... leave that to the user to decide. What if your not going to save the audio anyhow and just make a video clip?

I've found with my S1 that you can hear the zoom motor unless the ambient noise is pretty high. Heck, if its quite, like out in the woods, I'd call the zoom motor very loud in the playback.
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 9:42 PM   #12

Agreed mindtrip. I had an S1IS and using the optical zoom in movie mode was great. I now have the S3IS and of course it is on there also. The S1IS was ahead of its time really and is still a great camera. I hope that Canon are listening with respect to the use of zoom in movie mode. I am not even sure that the G9 allows it.
kjknapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 4:39 PM   #13

I learned that Sigma has put out a P&S (DP1) with a DSLR sensor in it (roughly APS-C size). The comparison done by those who own Sigma DP1 and G9 is that DP1's image quality is much better than G9. See http://photo.net/shared/community-me...ser_id=4062653.

If that is true, why Canon and other manufacturers do not rush to put large sensors in their prosumer P&S ?

Any inside news or rumors on when we can get a better large-sensor P&S with IS?

ANOUR
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 4:44 PM   #14

Sorry I could not provide a proper linkto the article inphoto.net, so I copy and pasted the article below

ANOUR

Anton van Huyssteen , Mar 11, 2008; 05:25 p.m.

Some varied but interesting remarks posted here. I do not care much about bells & whistles, whether there are thumb wheels or buttons or a manual focus ring or not. One gets used to any type of lay-out pretty quickly.
What interests me more is actual photo quality. And having just bought a Canon G9, I am really upset with myself when I have a look at the results of the DP-1! The samples I have seen (full size) are really blowing me away. Dynamic range is unsurpassed and colour fidelity excellent. The high ISO samples are very good IMHO. Judging from the samples, it really has an excellent lens as well.
Sorry to say, but NO compact camera with a tiny sensor can match it and my G9 would have to go! It's like chalk & cheese. And I am pretty sure that this would apply to ANY compact camera with a tiny sensor.
I am dying to see really large prints which would be the final proof that this is really a revolutionary little camera!
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:59 AM   #15

Anour wrote:
Quote:
Sorry I could not provide a proper linkto the article inphoto.net, so I copy and pasted the article below

ANOUR

Anton van Huyssteen , Mar 11, 2008; 05:25 p.m.

Some varied but interesting remarks posted here. I do not care much about bells & whistles, whether there are thumb wheels or buttons or a manual focus ring or not. One gets used to any type of lay-out pretty quickly.
What interests me more is actual photo quality. And having just bought a Canon G9, I am really upset with myself when I have a look at the results of the DP-1! The samples I have seen (full size) are really blowing me away. Dynamic range is unsurpassed and colour fidelity excellent. The high ISO samples are very good IMHO. Judging from the samples, it really has an excellent lens as well.
Sorry to say, but NO compact camera with a tiny sensor can match it and my G9 would have to go! It's like chalk & cheese. And I am pretty sure that this would apply to ANY compact camera with a tiny sensor.
I am dying to see really large prints which would be the final proof that this is really a revolutionary little camera!

MAKING SENSE- OR
These comments are just what I am thinking , Tried a A650Is and like anouther poster mentions here there is not a lot of difference between any of them that is picture quality imo,Same difference as mymy old A80 andA95 pics compared to theA650IS I returned , A job to tell which is which looking at the results, and both cant get any wherenear my D40 results not at all. its the sensor isnt it ,

Nearest to DSLR results but still not close are imo still my F30 results silky ,but again you can see a difference , Its allways going to be that SMALL sensor that is the problem , DP -! has such quality but we know why and it has limitations lens ect, theses small sensor cams are very much of a muchness I have to say, Couldnt ever find a great difference in picture quality no matter how manyI tried.

No matter how much they dress them up G9 with 12MP, or down A650 toy town clunky cheapcharlie with 12 MP, as long as they have the tiny sensor they are not much different it seems for picture quality all about the same these small sensor camerasand waybelow a large sensor camera is my point of view.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote