Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:31 PM   #1

I am looking for upgrading to G9 but was disappointed when I made a side-by-side comparison of Steve's images forG9 and A650 (see attached). I do not see lower noise in G9 or much of a quality difference is challenging (dark)areas of the images below. What am I missing here?

Attached Images

Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:00 PM   #2

The A650 and the G9 share the same lens, sensor and image processor, whence I see no reason, why there should be any essential difference in image quality. Steve's fairly comparable test shots confirm this statement.
The built quality of the G9 seems to be better and you can attach an external flash, while the A650 has a flip out display, which I would prefer. The CHDK has been ported to the A650. Thus the A650 has now a Raw format as well. All in all I would say, that the G9 is not worth the additional money.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:48 AM   #3

Hi Kassandro

Thanks for the information on lens, sensor and processor. Now I understand why there is no substantial quality difference between the two cameras.

The "built quality" that you refer to may not be as valueable these days as it used to be with the film cameras because, like computers, you feel like upgradingto new improved digital versions that are constantly appearingon the market. I will be more than happy if my digital camera holds itself together for just about two years when it would be almost obsolete.

Thanks for the clarification

Anour
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:56 PM   #4

Thank you for this helpful comparision. I have been thinking of getting a replacement for my Canon A620 (my wife wants it now), and the decision has come down to the A650 or G9. The G9 forums I have visited seem to be populated with pro-dSLR types who seem to constantly bemoan the short-comings of the G9's images...as compared to their powerful dSLRs. It certainly makes me wonder why they actually got the G9 and keep it.

Anyway, the size and shape of the G9 seems more compact, but it turns out to be very difficult to hold and operate with your right hand, compared to my A620. I am interested in the G9, but do not consider it to be that exceptional when compared to the A650, other than the RAW capability. The new hack for the A650 may eliminate that difference. I know you can purchase specialized options to improve the G9 grip, but the A650 already is designed for a good grip.

My latest concern is that I read a rumor that the A650 was about to be replaced. It seems to have taken a nose-dive in popularity since last fall's recall. I wonder if Canon is planning to replace it this summer? There is always the uncertainty of what is coming next.

I do like a lot of what I have read on various G9 blogs and forums, and the many suggestions for better photos. That for now is my main draw to the G9, the large community of experts that I can learn from. I have not found such a community for the A650, even though many of the lessons from the G9 can be applied to it.

dhc
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:01 AM   #5

It's quite likely that the A650 will be discontinued or replaced by another model this year, but that really wouldn't matter me. The G9 will be replaced as well. The life time of any Powershot is at most one year. Actually, I think that there is no real progress in image quality since years. You only get more pixels but not more image details.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:29 PM   #6

I agree that the G9 and A650 IS are very similar although I have q question - does anyone know if the A650 IS can zoom while taking a movie? I suspect that it can only use digital zoom not optical zoom but am interested to know.
kjknapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:31 PM   #7

Only digital up to 4x
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:15 AM   #8

I have heart that the most recent version of th CHDK enables the optical zoom during video capture at least for some Powershots. In the long run that should be extended to all Powershots.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:48 AM   #9

All of the S-series i.e. S1IS, S2IS, S3IS, S5IS allow you to use optical zoom during video capture, apparently due to the ultrasonic zoom which minimises the noise of the zoom mechanism. Alot of the other models use this reason - the fact that the zoom is too noisy - as to why you cannot use it on those models. i expect that the G-range also use ultrasonic zoom so also allow use of the optical zoom during video capture. Even if the zoom does make a niose I would rather have the option of using it and putting up with the noise than not being able to use it at all.
kjknapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 5:37 PM   #10

Does anyone know for sure if the optical zoom can be used on the A710 or A650 after the CHDK hack? I have no idea what's involved in that but would sure like to have Optical zoom during video on my A710,......and an A650 in my future.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote