Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:18 PM   #1

Hello Steve,

I can't find this information anywhere. I just bought a Canon S1002.1MPcamera new old stock in the box and I am trying to find out the maximum size CompactFlash card that I can use with it.

I have looked on line and have not found a definitative answer.Would there be any point to buying thefast version cards for this camera?

Thank you,

Sam
sreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:39 AM   #2
Administrator

I'm not Steve. But, I'll take a stab at answering your question.

There's no good way to know, unless you test a given card size in a camera this old (or find someone else that's tested one).

Keep in mind that about the largest card around when it was introduced was about 192MB, and manufacturers don't constantly test their older cameras with newer cards.

A 2GB card *might* work OK in it. But, you'd have to try one to find out. That's going to be the maximum size that might work, because the file system used by this older model is going to be FAT16 (which is limited to 2GB).

The file system should support cards up to 2GB. But, I have seen some potential problems formatting cards larger than 256MB in some older camera models. For example, see this thread on a problem with the way the Nikon Coolpix 950 handles formatting cards over 256MB.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=52

I've moved this thread to our Canon forum, where someone that still has one of these cameras may know. But, your best bet is just to see if it works or not with a larger card (up to 2GB might be OK) if you know someone that has some larger cards you can borrow, or stick with something like a 256MB card to be safer.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:53 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. I'll see if someone I know has any 1 to 2 GB cards to try. Maybe someone on the forum has tried it in the Canon S100. Even though it's a bit dated I could not pass up the new in box unit for $35.00. It has me considering the Canon SD1000 Digital ELPH as my next camera addition.

All the best and keep up the good work you are doing for the Digital Camera community.

Sam

sreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:36 PM   #4
Administrator

If you can't find anyone that has one you can try in it, I'd probably risk a 2GB card in it.

You don't really need a card that large in a 2 Megapixel camera (because the file sizes are relatively small). But, flash memory prices have dropped so much lately, you're not spending much money to get a 2GB card now.

For example, you can get a Transcend 133x 2GB CompactFlash card with a Lifetime Warranty for $12.99 + $5.99 for 3 business shipping at newegg.com now. But, they want more for the smaller Transcend 1GB cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208338

Chances are, it will work OK (but, you wouldn't know for sure without trying it). Another concern would be if could format a 2GB card properly or not, and it may appear to work OK, when there's an underlying issue with the format, as discussed in the thread about the Nikon 950 (another 2 Megapixel camera) I posted a link to. A card would normally come preformatted. But, I generally reformat my cards prior to every reuse.

If an invalid format was the only issue (and you'd need to use chkdsk in windows or a similar tool in another OS to check and see how it formatted it, since a problem may not be obvious until you use more than 256MB of it's space), you could use Windows to reformat it again using the correct cluster size for a larger card (just make sure to select FAT as the file system type in the drop down list that comes up, since Windows will default to FAT32, which will not be compatible with your camera).

Most people that have your camera model probably never bought a card that large for it. It was introduced almost 8 years ago, and that's a very long time for flash memory technology. ;-)

Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:18 PM   #5
Administrator

I just found this compatibility chart at Transcend.

Compatibility Chart for Canon Powershot S100 Digital ELPH

P.S.

Of course, note the disclaimers. :-)