Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:39 PM   #11

Sun,

While Sara gets her equipment ready, you might want to head over to my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny/s5_testshots

It's a full gallery of S5 shots and has a subgallery of 430EX tests also. It may help to see what the 430EX/S5 IS combo can do.

Good luck.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:51 PM   #12

Hi John-

Thanks for coming to my rescue. The Canon S-5 arrived today, and I am charging batteries right now as I write this post. In as much as Hercules just got a Canon EOS 450D, I am going to expand the tutorial to include the Canon G-7 & G-9, the S-5 and the XT which should work very similiar to the 450D.

This is a really busy day, so I will probably get started in earnest tomorrow (13 August). And yes, please take a good look at John's Gallery. He went through the first cycle of this Flash Tutorial that I did in the Spring 0f 2007.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:28 PM   #13
sun

Yes, I did go to John Galt's gallery and we were both impressed. I particularly liked the comparison of pic's between his 2 models.

There was a substantial difference at least for my eyes the S5 was a definite improvement in the model upgrade and the quality of which would suit my needs fine especially at this price that we purchased it at.

When buying in this millenium era I also become concerned about future models in that producers are always trying to keep the prices low and competitive and I know that to do this sometimes quality is downgraded.... e.g. more plastic etc. and so the better half and I decided we better jump onto this model lest the newer one be "lighter" and then by virtue some parts maybe made of plastic unlike this model. This is just our way of thinking.

As an example we still have a collection of old vcr tapes and watch them every now and then and have 2 vintage, but quality Sony vcr's that I used to edit my videos with and these 2 hands down are heavier than the later modelsand the tech at the shop where I get them serviced wants to buy either one of them b/c of the quality of the workmanship and material that went into them. I realize that when I lift the newer VCR that we sometimes use and it is so flimsy and prone to issues that need repair.

I am not saying that Canon would take this route, however the way technology moves so fast one is best to get onto a digicam that they feel comfortable with.

Again thank you for the opportunity of viewing the pic's.

sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:15 PM   #14

The sensor is so small that it's not really much good for doing bokeh or reduced depth of field. This camera is sometimes called DSLR like, but the only thing it can do over a P&S is the long zoom.

It's good for things like auto racing and air shows and what I recommend doing is using manual focus to set the focus to infinity distance when using the lens to reduce lag and to prevent it from becoming focused on a spectator's head, and such.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:04 PM   #15

you need to do some more homework, bokeh can be achieved with the S5, but I will not go into detail. People make blatant statements when they have no idea, do a little research? I could post, but I won't waste my time or tell you how? The internet is full of this kind of ignorance, do some google's and stop babbling?
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:47 PM   #16

bayoubooger wrote:
Quote:
you need to do some more homework, bokeh can be achieved with the S5, but I will not go into detail. People make blatant statements when they have no idea, do a little research? I could post, but I won't waste my time or tell you how? The internet is full of this kind of ignorance, do some google's and stop babbling?
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpo...7594271021369/
There's a good discussion on this here. Basically, the shallowest depth of field you can get is what you can get with a 72mm F3.5 lens on a 35mm camera within the area the size of the S5 IS's sensor.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:54 PM   #17
sun

I do hope to get some discussion on this as a new owner.

I thought the spec's on the digi cam were very good but I am only in my beginning stages...and I welcome discussion from experienced users so that I can buy the best accessories needed and try to do the best job as an old "boomer" ...who is learning the technology of the years of 2000!!!

Thankyou!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:23 PM   #18

Sun-

As a rather experienced Canon S-5 user that has bought and sold three version of the fine Canon camera. I will start right off with two cardinal rules:

(1) Never use more than ISO 200, stay away from Auto ISO except when using an External Flash like the Canon Ex-430 flash.

(2) Give the S-5 a little extra time to focus properly, and to confirm that it has the focus.

Then you will have photos like this.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:17 AM   #19
sun

Thx, that is why I say practice makes perfect... did you read my better half and my concerns about the next genernation the "6"...while it may be a lot better we are aware of how technology keeps the prices down and the sacrifices that the unbenownst user has thrust upon them

Thus we decided upon thei digicam. We still have a few days to go before we can take it back, actually several days.

The better half is worried about the sacrifices that maybe made on the "6" to keep the price down.

We are still thrilled with the Panasonic P/S Lumix Lz7.... and that is quality pic's simply in the family essence... not taking Zoom.

That camera above all is fantastic... we just wished it had a viewfinder and that the one up from it when we bought it had a view finder.

Our camcorder is a Panasonic and it is G---reaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

So now we are here with a Canon that we have hear rave reviews....but the better half has not been impressed with life like clarity of image when we compare it to the Panasonic???

The contrast/color??? are not Crisp in the Canon as they are in the Pansonic.

Any comments re this and I have to saythat we are keeping the ISO down. The pics seem not life like???

Cheers.

Thank you for your ongoing interest and support!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:58 AM   #20

JohnGaltNY wrote:
Quote:
Sun,

While Sara gets her equipment ready, you might want to head over to my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny/s5_testshots

It's a full gallery of S5 shots and has a subgallery of 430EX tests also. It may help to see what the 430EX/S5 IS combo can do.

Good luck.

JG

Hi John, nice shots with your S5 IS i do believe that your S5 takes way better pictures than your S2 why would that be? i also just bought the Canon 450D and the 430EX but i have no clue on using the 430EX i only use it in P mode because AV, TV, AND M mode give me slow shutter speed.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote